Alclad Chip Chart

ModelMan

With the smooth 1/650 1701 on the market, what good is the old gridded saucer?

alclad1_sm.jpg

Clockwise starting with the aluminums, then the 'precious metals', the burnts and exhausts, concluding with the two steels, magnesium and chrome going on midnight. The two Lexan metals are not represented as I don't use Lexan (a plexiglass) often so don't know how they'd do with abs and styrene.

The grid offers easy masking, equal measurements and you could even do multi-layer color tests going circular around the center. Coincidentally, the way this was laid out offers two grid units symmetrically between each block of colors. All the colors went down on a gloss black base, the primer was painted in after the metals were all done. The specular gloss black interfered with the metals.

The real magic is flipping this in the light. At some point I'll have a video of that with different exposure levels to see what's really going on. Beautiful stuff this alclad. Don't know why I was so apprehensive about using it all this time. Though it certainly does need a proper project to be used on.

To that end, making this chip chart was so that I could better judge what metals I might paint my Jupiter 2 in. Having them all side by side is immensely useful. And as I never painted with alclad's before, I need to test them out before going on the J2. I'll have a thread on that posting soon using the old MPC Darth Vader and a pair of protocol droids.

That photo looks much better than the video, I will have to do something like this soon.....

Latest posts

Back