Airix 1/72 Boomerang RAAF 4 SQN

cobraleader

G'Day All,

Just started working on this little kit. This will be buit as a 4 SQN Boomerang, using NovaScale Decals.

Cockpit is primed and painted Gunze H11 Silver and the seat brush painted with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium. The engine was painted Gunze H28, dry brushed with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium. The cowling is painted with the same Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium.

6ePQlxQ.jpg

Z9jD42o.jpg

4DsKjlV.jpg

okay, Airfix and fit issues.
Fuselage had alignment issues. One side the cowling mated to the fuselage, the other left a gap.
gaps in the wing root area and cowling/wing mating areas. And the rear wing mating on the fusleage.
At least Airfix is keeping the putty industry going ...

G6TDLbv.jpg
MCiOa5p.jpg
Arj6l0H.jpg

G'Day All,

Slowed up a bit with production. Painted the model with Gunze H302 Green.
I Started sealing the paint finish with Humbrol Varnish - then switched to Gunze and Tamiya acrylic clear, after have problems with other kits currently on the go as well.

7jkijbf.jpg
MLXwnNm.jpg

And slowed down again, left it sit for a week until I did the decals

Decals are NovaScale Decals. These are alps printed decals. I would suggest covering the decals with liquid decals film or a clear coat, as the printed images are fragile. I ended up touching up some of the artwork to cover the printing being removed.

GLxpWT3.jpg
eSEXr5r.jpg

G'Day All,

Trying my hand a oil filtering. Started with dot filtering, Yellow, Buff, Blue, Starship Filth - i think i added to much yellow ... then white highlight on selected panels

Camera seems to have blown the colours out a bit ...

uyfU3sF.jpg

6GP1SGl.jpg

G'Day All,

I applied some more weathering. Applied a mix of the base colour (Gunze 309) with some yellow and added some faded paint chips.
Added Humbrol 56 to what I guess would be high traffic areas and leading edges.
added black streaking around the ammo shell ejection shuttes.
as a final weathering, I applied AK Panel Line Dust to the under surface.

I think i'll leave it at this stage and finalise building it

FwAY4GH.jpg
Tex8oWQ.jpg
Pb82Qmf.jpg
n7HeDA4.jpg

Nice mate. Don't worry about the camera blowing out the colours, often it is the lights you're using. I prefer the LED lights from, of all places, Ikea. They are daylight rated and they make for great photos. I use their spring lamps too. The whole kit and caboodle set me back about 40 bucks, and they make a huge difference to photography. And they help when you build under the same light that you photo under also.
Andrew

Latest posts

Back