Airifx 1/48 Supacat Coyote

Nice choice, i built the jackal not long ago and it went together like a dream. the only inaccuracy seemed to be the tyre pattern, will you be going for resin upgrade boots on this baby?

Looking forward to it either way!

Hey, I just saw some of these in a LHS just this Tuesday. I thought they looked very interesting, but I thought since they were airfix, they might not be all that good. I had some less than notable experiences with Airfix.
Maybe I need to re-evaluate my opinion of Airfix.
:)

I also have the Jackal, and discovered the Gasoline upgrade parts just the other day. There is a set for the wheels, and another set that replaces the .50 cal, as well as some fuel can racks and also adds in a 40mm grenade launcher.

Problem is they are just new, and haven't filtered out to the North American shops that carry the line, and the one shop that does carry them is in France, and they charge an extra 5% when you pay via Paypal, which is a no no with me.

So...this one will be OOB, and I may get the upgrades for the Jackal once the parts become available here.

Also, Airfix has a PE set coming out for these kits, supposed to cover both the Jackal and the Coyote, which if you look at the parts you get in the box, are identical kits, just the Coyote has an extra sprue for the longer bed and the extra axle.

The tyres arent bad in the kit, theyre just not the same pattern as the real thing, once its built i dont thin itll detract from the finished piece. sounds like quite a nightmare trying to source the resin wheel!

As far as Airfix goes the older small scale kits are pretty shocking by todays standards, ive built a few, but these new releases are excellent.

Leighbo

I've had this kit in my hands and had to put it down....think I may go pick it up again.

Since it was a relatively slower day here at the shop (darn March Break starting), got some work done on the Coyote.

Drive train pieces:

IMG_1970-vi.jpg

Only thing about the drive train on this, Airfix did take some short cuts as all 3 axles are identical. I would think at least the front one would be slightly different as it would be the steering axle, and would have been nice to have the option to turn the front wheels, but alas, they will all be straight.

Speaking of wheels, here are the 6 of them

IMG_1971-vi.jpg

Front suspension settled into the belly pan

IMG_1972-vi.jpg

And then the top front added to the belly pan and front suspension

IMG_1973-vi.jpg

And bottom

IMG_1974-vi.jpg

This is where I skipped ahead in the instructions (hope fully it doesn't bite me in the butt later on). After mating the front suspension and drive-train to the belly pan and upper front compartment, the instructions have you continue on with the innards of the front section, but I decided to skip ahead to the rear axle section.

Rear axles

IMG_1975-vi.jpg

IMG_1976-vi.jpg

And then the unit mated to the front.

IMG_1977-vi.jpg

IMG_1978-vi.jpg

IMG_1979-vi.jpg

Size comparison with an X-acto blade

IMG_1980-vi.jpg

Not huge, but not so bad. Would love to see someone do this in 1/35 styrene. There is a 1/35 one available from Accurate Miniatures, but all resin and fairly pricey.

I am learning that parts of this will have to be painted and then masked part way through assembly. One of the bulkheads has the obligatory pioneer tools molded to it, which will need at least the primer and base coat painted on it, as well as picking out the handles and heads of the tools, then continuing on with the build.

I thought I might be able to leave it out until the end, but some of the rear structure builds off of it, so no real other choice as there is no way to easily paint the tools after it is all assembled.

The instructions would also have you install the inner wheel to the axle, but I decided to leave them off to make it easier to get some paint in there. Just installed the inner wheel with the outer wheel, will just have to take care in painted the wheel and tire. One nice thing Airfix did, since the tires are styrene, they molded the tires to look like that have some weight on the vehicle, so they have a little sag to them.

In trying to find some reference for this vehicle, I came across an illustration for the Coyote showing it hauling an artillery piece. Apparently they were designed to be a light weight artillery tractor. Anyone know where I can get a modern British field artillery in 1/48??? LOL

This kit appears to be coming along nicely already. I will keep checking back on the progress. :)

Didn't get any work done today as I was away for most of the day. Tomorrow I am on the road to go pick up a few things at my PO box, so likely won't get much done tomorrow.

As far as the fit of parts so far. Perfect, any place that I would normally have used filler on a seam has ended up being hidden through further assembly.

Not many decent pictures of it in Afghanistan however. Found a walk around from a military show, but the vehicle was stripped of most of it's equipment. Trying to see if anyone sells 1/48 modern Brit fuel and water cans, as it would be nice to fill out the racks on the bed. Even WWII Brit cans I could get by with as most people wouldn't know the difference.

One interesting tid bit I did come across is that this is apparently one of the vehicles that Canada's JTF-2 (Canada's version of the SAS) is looking at replacing their existing vehicles with. Almost makes me want to paint it green and black instead of the desert tan!

Latest posts

Back