Airfix Grumman J4 Gosling

mademodeller

Grumman J4 Gosling
[youtube]http://youtu.be/jqNf1ywAoZs[/youtube]
I've built a couple of these in my lifetime but never done the camo pattern I have always gone for U.S. coastguard one. The first photo is of the inside painted, two pin holes filled in the stabilizers, and the main wing glued together. This photo also shows the problem parts of which is the engine cowling. The Cowlings parts go together there was about 1 mm two narrow so I've had two cut off the pins and add a piece of plastic card in between the two parts.
vs150201-004_zps5jqrdyoi.png
now have to turn attention to the fuselage I left the pilot out and the side windows for now also fitted the windscreen. On the fitting of the stabilizers I found the tabs a bit too long and stop them seating at the root it was just a question of a light sanding and I fitted.
DSC00013_zps886688e6.jpg
I used hot water to bend the front glazing which had warp and found big gaps at the bottom and top. On filling the gaps I had put a piece of tape on the windscreen to protect it but I did scratch it up a little but a quick polishing sorted out.
DSC00014_zpsc1d119cf.jpg
In the meantime I started the floats and the picture tells all. I started with the nose and in a chunk of sprue and when dry I had some filler and sanded it and they came out OK.
DSC00017_zpsaaa08098.jpg
DSC00072_zps8e279572.jpg
Then the two cowling pieces are glued together and fitted to the wings. I also added the undercarriage at this time I shouldn't left it off till the end as I broke one of them off.
vs150201-002_zps8o6jfska.png
Now for some pain I started off with red car primer and found some gaps to be filled.
DSC00041_zps5c66fe53.jpg
After that I'd put on Tamiya Matt white so I could start the camo
DSC00042_zpse054a471.jpg
After my last one when some paint was lifted off a decided to try my hand at free hand camo. I have tried in the past but with no success but with my new and better airbrush I thought I might have a chance this time and a believer I pulled it off. I'm very happy the way it turned out just needs more practice.
vs150201-005_zpsrhp8d7ct.png
I applied a gloss coat so I could apply the decals I also fitted the floats and the stabilizers struts.
DSC00140_zpsjyarposf.jpg
Now I have applied a matt coat of clear I unmask the cockpit window and used crystal clear for the side windows and glue on the props.
DSC00142_zpsic6ddloh.jpg
Last job on it was to use a piece of stretch of sprue for the aerials. And that completed the model
vs150201-001_zpsmyqz9edd.png
Thanks for looking, hope your model is going great, see you all soon, Alan

Latest posts

Back