Airfix 1/72 P-51 D/K RAAF 3 SQN

cobraleader

G'Day All,

On a bit of an Aussie Airforce theme this year. It is 100 years since the RAAF was formed.

This one is an Airfix 1/72 P-51 D/K built as a 3 SQN Aircraft that served in Europe.
Fuselage has been primed, black based, with white marbling. Base coated with Gunze H56 Interior Green

9OcEQXl.jpg

1xS6Ou3.jpg

clxO29z.jpg

I found a problem with the Canopy fitting to the fuselage.
Either the fuselage was too narrow or the canopy was too large. So i added some shims to the forward fuselage to widen it. Which created a larger seem to fill.
Mated the wings to the fuselage and found some fit issues as well. And to round it off, the air intake had some issues as well.
Break out the putty.
Masked the canopy ready for the painting to start.
2GjhU7B.jpg

4GkzxH7.jpg

fHRjaxH.jpg

G'Day All,

Slowed up a bit with production.

Finally put down some paint. Paint Scheme is British European Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. Ended up using Gunze H335 Ocean Grey, H309 Dark Green and H306 Medium Sea Grey.
Painted the undersides and free hand painted the camou scheme on top

Spinner is painted Gunze H3 Red and the rudder and fuselage band painted Gunze H15 Blue.

8WY5zh5.jpgSlDo6NO.jpg
k2waxhI.jpg
Started sealing the finished paint work with Humbrol Gloss varnish, however it started reacting the the underlying paint (same problem when using Humbrol Satin and Matte varnish as well). Ended up with cracks over the wings. I don't know what i'm doing wrong - this has happened on several other models and even over Humbrol Enamels. Instead of stripping and redoing the paint, I decided to go back to the good ol' trusted Gunze and Tamiya clear coats. I found that it covered the cracks, had to do some minor paint touch ups due to the cracking going through to the primer coat.

Decals are NovaScale Decals. These are alps printed decals. I would suggest covering the decals with liquid decals film or a clear coat, as the printed images are fragile. I ended up touching up some of the artwork to cover the printing being removed.

Ij7tWdo.jpgOd1ipAa.jpg

G'Day All,

Slowed up a bit with production.

Finally put down some paint. Paint Scheme is British European Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey. Ended up using Gunze H335 Ocean Grey, H309 Dark Green and H306 Medium Sea Grey.
Painted the undersides and free hand painted the camou scheme on top

Spinner is painted Gunze H3 Red and the rudder and fuselage band painted Gunze H15 Blue.

8WY5zh5.jpg
SlDo6NO.jpg

k2waxhI.jpg

Started sealing the finished paint work with Humbrol Gloss varnish, however it started reacting the the underlying paint (same problem when using Humbrol Satin and Matte varnish as well). Ended up with cracks over the wings. I don't know what i'm doing wrong - this has happened on several other models and even over Humbrol Enamels. Instead of stripping and redoing the paint, I decided to go back to the good ol' trusted Gunze and Tamiya clear coats. I found that it covered the cracks, had to do some minor paint touch ups due to the cracking going through to the primer coat.

Decals are NovaScale Decals. These are alps printed decals. I would suggest covering the decals with liquid decals film or a clear coat, as the printed images are fragile. I ended up touching up some of the artwork to cover the printing being removed.

Ij7tWdo.jpg
Od1ipAa.jpg
Nice work. Over coming mold makers mistakes!

To be honest, at the beginning I was like mmmmm, but at the end, you surprised me. Good job man!.

yeah, i get the same feeling - trying some new techniques and just don't fee like i've done it right ...

G'Day All,

Another Aussie bird completed.
Looking back, I should have gone with a Natural Metal Finish. But I don't have much luck with NMF finishes.
Next Aussie Jet bird will be a metallic finish ... just have decide which one ... Korean Jet or Cold War jet ... choices.

Finished off minor detail parts and painting.
I left the drop tanks painted with metallics.
Weathered the leading edge and props.

toUfAjY.jpg

fCUf9TB.jpg
lUTS9pz.jpg
rzbwQL4.jpg
igJScFa.jpg
5GO8jo3.jpg
JUe7huX.jpg

Latest posts

Back