Airbrush recommendation

aneimps

Anybody know anything about airbrushes? My son is getting into learning about custom painting/stenciling on cars & would like an airbrush kit for graduation. I don't know the first thing about them so I'm just starting to do some research. Any help or links would be appreciated.

You've come to the right place. Personally I use a Badger Krome and have had excellent results with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-RK-1-Additional-Regulator/dp/B0078MEXX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430230137&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+krome

I'm sure you'll get alot of opinions here - there's a ton of brands out there.

Can't go wrong with anything from the Harder & Steenbeck line.

Most popular are:

Evolution 2n1
http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=166_167&products_id=2875
Comes with 2 needles (0.2mm and 0.4mm), and 2 paint cups (2ml & 5ml). Made in Germany

Infinity 2n1
http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=166_167&products_id=3056
Same size cups as above, instead of the 0.2mm, you get the smaller 0.15mm (as well as the 0.4mm), as well has the feature where you can dial in the needle travel, so if you want the same size line every time, the trigger will only come back to that stop. This one is for really fine detail, so depending on what he is going to be doing, it may be a bit overkill for what he needs, therefore the Evolution above would be more in line with that.

I personally have experience with Badger, Paasche, and Iwata. All three are good brands and have their plus and minuses. I would stay away from the no label brands, you often can't get replacement parts, and they will usually fail after a bit of time.

If you are going to have the compressor on for more than 15 minutes at a time, don't get a cheap one, you will just burn it up. I learned that the hard way.

aneimps said:
Anybody know anything about airbrushes? My son is getting into learning about custom painting/stenciling on cars & would like an airbrush kit for graduation. I don't know the first thing about them so I'm just starting to do some research. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Badger airbrushes are very good and well worth the money. You can go to www.artistsupplysource.com they have all the supplies you will need. I have owned the badger Omni Series T88 Dual Action airbrush great all around brush for about $70.00.

Also try www.airbrushtricks.com or www.kustomkulturelounge.com these are good websites for tips and tricks from other professionals. Hope this helps.

Omni_4000.jpg

I'm a Badger and Iwata user (5 different models) but that's got a lot to do with availability.
I'd love to use the h&s stuff but it is cost prohibitive to get in this part of the world.

For fine detail work you can't go past the sotar 20/20 which if you are patient often turns up super cheap on Amazon every few years, generally around xmas time.

My favorite is the Badger Krome. I also love the Patriot 105, I sometimes think you can spray asphalt through the 105.
I like Badger brushes for just about all my painting needs.

I'm also happy with my Badger Krome. However I have had one problem which I still haven't gotten around to contacting Badger about. The valve assembly body part has come loose from the main body tube. I don't know how it's connected at the factory, solder, press fit or other means. I've fixed it for now with a drop of thin CA. I don't want to send it in for repair as I like it a lot and it's my only gravity feed airbrush. My favorite feature is the adjustable needle pullback stop thingy. Very handy.

I own Badger airbrushes, Iwata airbrushes, Paasche H, Harder and Steenbeck Infinity 2 in 1, Grex, and a DAGR Devilbliss. I love them all but if I had to recommend one to a beginner, an airbrush that will do what most of the brushes I own will do, it would have to be the Badger Krome. A fantastic airbrush. Excellent spray and feed and parts are easy to get. Not to mention Badger will stand by the airbrush should anything...and I do mean anything short of out right abuse, happen that it need servicing!

Latest posts

Back