Airbrush Basics.....

phoenix

Ok...so I've been building models since I was a kid...but recently, after trying to recreate certain paint effects with rattlecans, and beginning experimentation with pigments, I realize I need an airbrush. I have very little knowledge on airbrushes and airbrush paints...so, in layman's terms, I would really appreciate advice! I'm basically looking for an easy-to-learn airbrush that will mostly be for solid or two-tone exterior paint on vehicles, and some detail later on (needle sizes?). Also would like to know if certain airbrushes prefer enamels/lacquers... I have been on Badger's website, but the terms and lingo are a bit confusing at times.

Also, what about compressors? And lastly, how does the paint/overspray/toxic cloud react to the environment (in other words, will I make my husband high on paint fumes)? I'm a bit tired of painting outside on the cold patio, where bugs are attracted to my paint...

A veritable butt-load of questions there. You are really asking for a Primer on airbrushing (maybe we'll write one someday), but for what its worth...

Airbrush:

Long answer: Airbrushes are either gravity feed or siphon feed, and either single action or dual action.

Gravity feed means the paint is in a cup and gravity pulls the paint down in. Siphon feed the paint is in a cup or jar with a straw and is drawn up into the gun by siphon action. Gravity works better, and is easier to clean. Only advatages with siphon is you can have a HUGE jar of paint, or several jars to swap color in a single paint session. For scale model work, hands down gravity feed is best.

Single action mean there is a trigger for air. The volume of paint is set by an adjustment at the back. With dual action the trigger press is for air while pulling back adjusts the paint volume. While at first single action seems attractive for a novice, you will very very quickly get frustrated by having to constantly stop to readjust the volume. Might as well just start with what you will inevitably end up with.

Short answer: Badger Patriot. Dual action gravity feed. Nozzle is a good general scale model use size, capable of some detail as well as laying down a base coat. Spare parts are everywhere. (Almost) everybody has one so getting help will be easy. Please note this is not the only good airbrush or airbrush brand in the world. There are many excellent options, but if Badger is the brand you have ready access to its a pretty obvious choice for a newcomer

Air Source:

You can use a hardware store compressor making sure to adjust the PSI waaaaaaay down to what airbrushes use. They are relatively inexpensive (small ones go on sale for like $60), but they are LOUD!

There are dozens of airbrush specific compressors on the market. While not silent they are quiet enough that they wont disturb, or in some cases will be barely heard by, someone somewhere else in the house. Be prepared to pay $200-$300 for a decent one with regulator (to adjust pressure) and moisture trap (to....trap moisture). Models with a tank are better than ones without.

A CO2 tank is another option (which can be expensive to get started and are not without certain cautions). DON'T even think about the disposable air cans, or using a spare car tire.

Paint:

This is one I really hesitate to comment on because its something people are VERY passionate about ("this is better than that" arguments seem inevitable), but especially since you mentioned noxious fumes, and you are new to airbrushing, I'll put Vallejo ModelAir paint out there as an obvious choice. They are ready to use right out of the bottle so no thinning required (which can be a finicky and un-precise science you can learn later). Moreover, they are totally solvent free. No noxious fumes, not even alcohol. Anything else will require an extracting paint booth to evacuate the fumes. With ModelAir you can, if you dont mind getting the room dirty, do without as the over-spray consists of just paint "dust" which will settle on every horizontal surface in the room. Wear a decent respirator with N95 or better while working though (even "non-toxic" paint dust doesn't belong in our lungs).

You will find many different opinions on what airbrush to buy/use.

My preference is Harder & Steenbeck, they have many different models, mostly gravity feed (which you want if you want to do some detail stuff, uses less air pressure to push the paint), and they have a nice compressor set up with the auto on/off switch built in, water trap, braided line, etc, etc.

As far as clouds of toxic fumes, that all depends on what type of paint you are spraying. If you are going with enamel or lacquer.....the type of airbrush isn't going to make a difference in the overspray and toxic fumes.

An acrylic like Vallejo has no smell, no toxic fumes, but either way you should wear a paint mask/respirator.

However, if you husband isn't dead yet from the clouds off of spray cans, then you are pretty safe as you generally have alot less overspray and toxic clouds when using an airbrush.

Cool.

I've recommend a Badger Patriot. It's gravity fed (cup on top, gravity pulls paint down into contact with air, sprays out). Easy to clean. You can get parts (needles, tips) pretty easily (they now carry them at Micheals). It's dual action. That means press trigger for airflow, pull back for amount of paint. I think it ships with a medium tip/needle...maybe a fine as well. Great general purpose brush and affordable (under $100). It will serve you well.

Paint. Lots of options. If you don't want to buy and install a spray booth the vent fumes outside I'd have to say your best best is Vallejo Air. It's non toxic. I spray it right at the bench. Lots of colors. Once you get the feel for it it airbrushes well, it's pre-thinned so you go from bottle straight into airbrush color cup and shoot.

Compressor. Lots of options. One of the smaller Badger ones is a great start. Not loud, small. I use a bigger contractor compressor myself. It's loud.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this.

Hey Phoenix,

I started out with a single action bottle fed brush. It was a great introduction into the world of airbrushing. It works wonders with one color schems great for primer. Maybe something to consider. But I also have to second Scott's opinion. I just upgraded to a Badger Patriot 105. For under $100 I think it is the best AB on the market. I wrote up a little reveiw on it in this section. I hope it helps!

You can get a Badger Patriot from Amazon for about $45 if you apply for one of their credit cards. You're automatically credited with $30 that can be applied to the purchase price of about $75. I just did it.

Wow...lots of great info! I have heard alot about the Patriot 105...and I did read the review on here. I'm thinking that's what I'm going for...and I will probably just beg my handyman husband to build me a paint booth. ;D

We live in an apartment, so I will most likely set up a fan and hose directly to the window to vent outside. I accidentally coated our spare bathroom with a light dusting of orange in my last paint session (the tiger-striped monster truck)....I swear I had enough coverings!

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back