Air- Tamiya P-47M T-Bolt

Alan Kelley

Better late to the party than not at all.
This is my first entry into the competition and my first build on ScaleModelAddict.

I will be building the Tamiya p-47m kit, in the colours of Witold"Lanny" Lanowski. I have been in contact with Lanny's son Krys who will hopefully be endorsing the finished model.
I would like to have entered earlier,but was finishing the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, which won gold for Best American Themed entry at the IMSS show in Dublin this past weekend. I willbe entering it in the open category here.

4C08FC7B-21AB-4827-8BAE-359019ABE2F5.jpg

Anyway- on to the Thunderbolt.

Obligatory box shot

2CFA7177-87A0-4E84-A205-0D70368E7A21.jpg

I have started with the cockpit- in late model T-bolts this was darker than standard US interior green- got a bit of a blue tint to it.

DSCN1734.jpg

DSCN1754.jpg
I added a little bit of german grey to the paint once I had shot the base coat, and darkened the shadow areas.
Once done I then added some buff to lighten the exposed areas.

I added a wash around the dirty areas on the floor and some paint chipping.

DSCN1757.jpg

I have coloured the detail areas on the side consoles, and started to pick out the detail using dry brushing and washes.

DSCN1764.jpg

Still some more work to do here and data decals to add.

The instrument panel was given similar treatment, I filled the instrument faces in white in preparation for the kit supplied decal to go on.

DSCN1761.jpg

And with the decal on place.

DSCN1767.jpg

That's where I am up to so far.

Thanks, Alan.

Good evening,

A little bit more progress made.

Instrument panel finished, except for the gunsight.

DSCN1776.jpg

I have dropped some future/klear into each instrument to simulate the glass.

The cockpit is more or finished- I think I will wire the back of each instrument as the back of the panel will be visible on the finished model.

The belts are from Eduard- I annealed them, stripping the paint off them and painting them myself.

DSCN1782.jpg

DSCN1784.jpg

DSCN1788.jpg

DSCN1789.jpg

I will try to get the cockpit finsihed in the next day or so, allowing me to move onto the engine.

Alan.

I have the cockpit finished.
Seeing as the back of the instrument panel will be somewhat visible once finished, I decided to add some wiring to the back of it. Each instrument had a hole drilled in it and a piece of fine copper wire inserted.

cock.jpg

cock2_1.jpg

The K-14 gunsight has also been added. Bought a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin glue- my first. Have to say it really is the dogs... I have been using Mr Hooby Cement S- this is much better.

cock3_1.jpg

cock4_1.jpg

Your couldnt possibly do a Double Wasp ithout adding the ignition harness.
Again this has been drilled out and will be adding copper wire.

engine3.jpg

I added some Albion Alloys fine tubing to simulate the connectors on the magneto and distributors.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Next stage will be to get it painted up and the actual wiring added.

Alan.

Thanks, John and Rookie. Your comments are really appreciated.

I have got a bit more done tonight- I have most of the wheel wells painted. I came across a great tip for washes recently. A few drops of Future/Klear, the same amount of water and a couple of drops of Tamiya X-1- makes into a really beautiful flowing wash. I have been experimenting with a few other colours, rather than just black and have to say it works just as well.

Fantastic choice of kits Alan! Been thinking of picking up a 47 or even a 51 soon myself! Great job on the P-51! Well deserved gong for you at the show! Outstanding work on the office of the 47!! Looks like you are well on your way with this one!!

I have been working away at the engine over the past couple of days, wiring it up.

First step after drilling was to paint it.

Initially given a gloss black undercoat of Tamiya X-1 thinned with Mr Color Self Levelling thinner.

Next up I masked off the push rods and shot some alclad steel on the rear cylinder block, and chrome on the front, just to create a bit of depth.

engine8.jpg

engine9.jpg

engine10.jpg

engine11.jpg

The whole assembly was given a black wash.

Next up I added the wiring- this is just wire from telephone cabling.

engine6.jpg

Then I painted and shaded the magneto, hub and distributors.

Wired all connected up and the engine is practically done. Just to add the P&W logo on the front .

engine5.jpg

engine4.jpg

Regards, Alan.

Thanks, Nick.

I am actually enjoying adding the detail on this- I am going to have a crack at adding the wiring into the wheel wells next.

Alan.

Thank, Scott. Much appreciated.

Had some fun with wire today- no pics yet, sadly.
I have added the actuators on the tail wheel using some brass rod and copper wire, and a few wires and connectors into the wheel wells. Slower than I hoped, but getting there.

Alan Kelley said:
Next up I added the wiring- this is just wire from telephone cabling.

engine4.jpg

Fantastic work Alan,.....the wiring adds so much to it,.....

Funny thing though,....I was trying to ring you and I couldn't get through ;D

J

Thanks for the comments TRM & Jaitea.
Very funny John- was looking at a build in the armour section the other day and seen the Carrick Churchill tank. Thought to myself- hey, another modeller here from Carrick, then it dawned on me when I was looking at the sci-fi builds that it clicked who you were, lol.

Latest posts

Back