Air Cadets!

carter_maresh

Hey guys I just got back from Air cadets annual inspection. And I got two awards!
I showed my diorama of the F/A 18E SUPER HORNET and then as I was about to leave one of the high rank officers can and said that there is a competition for model building and a model show that I will be entering next year in April so I need some ideas. It has to be a Canadian plane and it has to be a certain scale that I do not know of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

carter_maresh said:
Hey guys I just got back from Air cadets annual inspection. And I got two awards!
I showed my diorama of the F/A 18E SUPER HORNET and then as I was about to leave one of the high rank officers can and said that there is a competition for model building and a model show that I will be entering next year in April so I need some ideas. It has to be a Canadian plane and it has to be a certain scale that I do not know of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

there are many scale airplanes

the two more common scales being

1/72

1/48 (my personal favorite scale)

1/32

1/25

there is a certian canadian Jet that was made, that was very advanced for its time, i cannot remember the name, but it was pritty far ahead. one of the more common jets canada uses of ours... is the F-18 Hornet. they are also thinking of getting some F-35s.

i would go with a Canadian F-18 hornet! go for a 1/48th scale kit.

Carter,

I have worked with the 333 Lord Beaverbrook Air Cadet Squadron, as well as the Perth Andover Squadron (forget their name though), for the competition you are talking about.

There are alot of rules involved, and I am sure one of your superiors could get you the information, but I do know that it has to be Canadian, and it has to be 1/48 Scale. Also part of the competition is researching the particular aircraft you are building.

If by X Plane you mean Experimental....then no...the CF-105 Arrow wasn't an Experimental plane in the same sense that the Bell X-1, or X-15 was.

CF-105 Arrow was designed for the most part and go from drawing board to operational.

The Arrow was far more advanced than anything flying at that time, and in some respects of the aircraft design that wasn't superseded until the F-22 Raptor became operational. It was truly a far advanced aircraft than anyone had seen. The first with fly by wire controls.....which weren't seen again in an aircraft until the F-16 was developed.

Many Avro techs and engineers went to work for companies such as Lockheed, Northrupt, etc, etc, after the Arrow was killed. The main engineer behind the design of the Arrow, helped design the Apollo Space Capsule, as well helped design the Space Shuttle.

The Arrow was well ahead of its time! Just too bad the short sighted politicians couldn't see the value in continuing with the Arrow program. The Canadian Aviation industry would be very different today if the Arrow was allowed to proceed!!

Very true, but I wouldn't lump the TSR2 in an Experimental class either....very similar story with the TSR2 as the Arrow.

The Military Aviation world would be a very changed place had the Arrow and TSR2 both gone into production!

Uh Huh, silly, silly, silly politics. Also, if you do CF-105, try a what if scheme, in camo, as if it had entered service, good luck!! 8)

Oh yeah, I have 3 of the 1/72 Hobbycraft kits.....got plans to do one as it would have entered service (not so sure it would have been a camo bird however, think more like the Voodoos looked like), and the 2 others are slated for "mods" The Mk.IV and Mk.V Arrows. Mk.IV would have come into service around the early to mid 1960s, and would have had a nose/cockpit section more like an F-4, the Mk.V would have come in service in the early to mid 1970s, and have a nose/cockpit more like an F-14, as well both would have other bits and pieces that would improve the aircraft.

Latest posts

Back