AHH, STRAPPED FOR MONEY

MilitaryAircraft101

Well...
I need money for my modelling. I keep savings money in the bank, but I'm trying not to dig into that. (I'm saving for a PPL course which costs $15000 approx.) I want to buy new models, even if i have a few on the go and unbuilt, I dunno, just an urge to buy more So, yeah, No idea. Mabye I'll just finish what I've got...
Any comments appreciated.
Cheers

MilitaryAircraft101 said:
Well...
I need money for my modelling. I keep savings money in the bank, but I'm trying not to dig into that. (I'm saving for a PPL course which costs $15000 approx.) I want to buy new models, even if i have a few on the go and unbuilt, I dunno, just an urge to buy more (do I sound like a woman? :-[) So, yeah, No idea. Mabye I'll just finish what I've got...
Any comments appreciated.
Cheers

welp... tis live, im in the same situation, i have money but cant spend it on models, it sucks, the one i am building right now was gotten for me as a gift real cheep.

I hate to say it, but turn to Ebay. If you are patient, and take you time, you can get models for really cheap. You just have to make a list of what you want, set an absolute maximum price you are willing to pay, and wait. It might take three months to get that model, but you will for a good price. Do this long enough, and you will build up a good stash of models.

But the trick is to be patient. Don't get auction fever and start bidding high. I have done this for two years now, and I always pay below retail for every model I buy.

Swapmeets , shows, yard sales are all places to keep an eye out. You never know what you'll find. In the last year I've built up a stash of @ 50 kits at 1/3rd of retail by just keeping my eyes open. I have actually scored things like a Tamiya He-219 UHU brand new in the box for $3.00US! Now that's rare but it does happen.

Jingles said:
Grendels said:
I hate to say it, but turn to Ebay.
Edit: It might be a good idea to remove the line in your original post about women. We have some female members who may not be amused... and I go shopping a lot more often than most women I know.

Ok, thanks, I don't want to offend anyone... Thanks people for your great suggestions. Looking at some real cheap models on ebay. I'll only pay retail or below for em though... I have set a top bid :)

Just don't forget to add the shipping in your ebay deals before writing off your local hobby shop for being too expensive. It amazes me how many people say:

'I got this $45.00 on Ebay for $35.00.'
'Including the shipping?'
'No, that was $12.00! What a deal!'
'So you got a $45.00 kit for $47.00?'
'No I got it for $35.00!'
'But you didn't count shipping, It's $47.00.'
'No, I got it for $35.00.'

--nods--
I always watch that, myself. You'd be amazed at how many sellers "sell" cheap, and then cream you with the shipping charges

But then again you can get deals. I did get 6 star trek model kits for $30 with $12 shipping. One of those kits was the Defiant. Which alone sells for far more than that price if you can even find that kit.

You can find deals on Ebay, but they are getting far fewer these days.

I used to buy alot on Ebay (Before I opened my own shop, but that is a whole other ball of wax) and I do still buy the odd item that either hasn't been re-issued in a dog's age (old Nascar kits for example), or sometimes stuff I just can't get myself. But it is few and far between now a days.

I also sold on Ebay at one time, but since I opened my own website, there is no point anymore, between insertion fees, selling fees and Paypal fees, on a $20 item, Ebay/Paypal ends up taking $5 give or take...., pretty much a loosing (or at the most a break even sale), sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Unfortunately there were people out there that would sell you a smoking deal on a kit, but then hose you in the shipping, and usually ended up being much more than buying it locally.

I don't buy much of anything on there now, the odd time I will find something, but not as much as I used to.

Thanks for the replies people, I think i'll just have to cut my losses, finish what I've got, then go 1 at a time. :'( But it'll be worth it, because my savings go into a pilot's licence. ;D and in the long run, I choose pilots licence. After that i'll be back and ready to roll though 8)

Sounds like a good plan, MA101.
Wishing I hadn't spent so much on building my stash

Nonsense. He's under the impression that after he gets his wings, he's gonna have money left for something else. ;) ;D

Latest posts

Back