AFV Club decal emergency!!! WTH?!!

Can someone give me a hand with these AFV club decals for my contest build? Specifically, what's with the tissue paper they sealed over the decal sheet for? Do I remove it before decaling, or keep it on and then wait until the decal dries on the model, then peel it off? The decaling instructions in the manual are written in some very interesting Engrish, and are of no help.
P6200725.jpg
If it's supposed to be removed before decaling, it's not gonna be easy...
P6200724.jpg
This is just not working for me. Any suggestions and help will be much appreciated, everyone.

:'( :'( :'(

Most companies put the tissue paper over the decal to protect them from damage, but they normally aren't adhered to the decal sheet like that, and just sit loose over the decal sheet. Looks like something reacted between the decals and the paper.

How old was the kit? Depending on the humidity where the kit was stored, this could be the result of some excess moisture.

If the paper can't be removed as is, will it come off in the water? I am thinking that as soon as it hits the water it would separate from the decal....still be a PITA where it is tissue paper and will likely go mushy pretty quick.

No, it's stuck REAL good to the decal film. I just tried hitting one with a little water, and it remained even more firmly in place. Looks like it rehydrated the dissolving film over the decal, turning it into glue. Soon after, the decal loosened from the backing paper, still firmly bonded to the tissue paper. After 3 minutes of fiddling with attempting to peel the freed decal from the tissue paper, I gave up. Impossible to separate.
I tried rubbing the tissue paper off the decal sheet dry, but it's leaving all sorts of bits of tissue paper behind, all over the decal sheet.
I did end up cutting open the decal bag when I first started the kit in April, and the tissue was attached to the sheet even way back then.
The only other AFV in my stash is a Merkava, so no stealing decals from that, I guess.

I hate to say it but it sounds like that sheet is a write-off. I'm sure Elm can find you 3rd party decal set....

Okay, I had my hissy-fit and I'm finished now. :p I forgot that I had some clear inkjet-friendly decal film lying around, so I spent the last couple hours redoing the decals in MS Word & printing them.

I don't have any of the decal-bonder spray, but I've heard of people using Testor's DullCote rattlecans or Future through the AB. Any experience with that?

That just SUX A$$! I feel bad for ya! Sounds like Very damp/wet storage conditions? Did you buy that new?

If you are using a specific Version and need only specific decals I could send you some! Where are you located ?

I have so many! But if the whole sheet is needed then I might have to hold on to them?

It is too bad you didn't spot this before! How could you have known? Very unusual!

Let me know!

NecronautDrummer said:
Okay, I had my hissy-fit and I'm finished now. :p I forgot that I had some clear inkjet-friendly decal film lying around, so I spent the last couple hours redoing the decals in MS Word & printing them.

I don't have any of the decal-bonder spray, but I've heard of people using Testor's DullCote rattlecans or Future through the AB. Any experience with that?

DON'T USE FUTURE!

It is water soluble, and will instantly dissolve when the decal hits the water, and the inkjet ink being water based will start to dissolve as well.

Testors Dullcoat or Testors Gloss Coat (depending on the decal finish you want....tank, obviously dullcoat) the lacquer versions (dries faster and won't attack the ink). Basically the Testors Decal bonder spray, is just that...Testors Dullcoat with a different label.

Elm City Hobbies said:
DON'T USE FUTURE!

Nice save there, Scott! :-[

schweinhund227 said:
If you are using a specific Version and need only specific decals I could send you some! Where are you located ?

Let me know!

Thanks a bunch for the offer, Norm ;D but I think I have it covered now! The decals came like that, all sealed in their little baggie. Like I said earlier, it's been pretty damp around here in central Alberta over the last month. My Airfix Harrier decals have been sitting out (with the tissue on them) since I started the kit back in January, but they ain't sticking to the decal sheet. If it wasn't a contest with a deadline less than 10 days away, I'd just contact AFV Club and send them a lost/damaged item claim ticket from their instruction sheet. But it is nice to know that there are people out there willing to help a brother out! ;D

You are Welcome!

The offer still stand, I am in Ontario.... It could take between 2 to 5 days to get to you! But if you say you are doing OK, I'll stand by your decision! canuk brother!

Latest posts

Back