Aftermarket highly detailed Cockpit for Revel 1/48 F-14 Tomcat

Evilbert

I am looking for a highly detailed cockpit kit for a revel F-14 tomcat. Looking for one that comes with the photo etch panels/electronics and photo etched seats, etc. I am a firm believer that you can have nicest exterior paint job in the world and the most accurate detailing on the exterior ever done, but without a detailed cockpit, it is simply not that great. When you walk up to any aircraft, we always want to see the cockpit job.

Any help, links, etc would be great thanks.

I should note that I have found the Eduard photo etched detailing set. It is not bad, but is there anything else out there? Like a resin cockpit and seats for this kit?

Look at Aires, they make about the best resin cockpits, seats, etc, etc, out there. Don't know if they make a cockpit for a Revell F-14 or not....

Failing that, Avionix is probably the next best.

After hours of searching etc the interwebs, I have found the Eduards detail kit for the revell 1/48 which includes a pretty decent photoetch for the cockpit. I also found the aires ejection seats for the revell 1/48. So I think at this point, it is going the most I can get for this kit. It appears as though revell is not a very popular brand with the aftermarket community. You would think that revell being on the lower end, that you would see more aftermarket parts available in order to bring the kit up to par? I guess not however.

Yeah just had a quick look at both Avionix and Aires, and other than the Aires generic F-14 seats, the rest of the sets are for Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, or Academy.

One of the Avionix sets says it is for either Hasegawa or Revell, but it is an exterior set, not a cockpit.

Mind you if you really wanted a resin pit....you could likely modify a set designed for the Hasegawa kit to fit the Revell kit, as they are apparently very similar.

Now all I am looking for is a quality exhaust kit for the 1/48 revell f-14

I am looking for something similar to this. I am wondering but have not been able to find an answer yet, is would this kit (or similar) work in the revell?

I am thinking of maybe using this kit from Aires:
http://www.aires.cz/exhaust-nozzle/f-14a-tomcat-exhaust-nozzles-opened/

4122.jpg

Despite Aires labelling the cockpit sets for different kits, it's likely the same cockpit set relabelled. This is definitely true of the Aires 1/48 F-16 cockpit sets which are the sets meant for the Hasegawa kit relabelled for the Kinetic and Tamiya F-16s. Aires' sets look amazing, but are a major pain to fit and will require lots of cutting, grinding, and sanding followed by more filling and sanding when you get the pieces in place. Going with that, even if the sets are meant for different kits, it probably won't matter much since they probably don't fit the kit they were designed for.

Personally I'm not fond of Eduard's preprinted PE. The colors are always off, most of it is flat and looks not much better than decals, and it can chip off easily.

Because of the Revell kit's age there are likely cockpit sets out there for it by smaller companies that are long out of production. You can try searching eBay or asking around on the Buy/Sell sections on various forums.

Evilbert, there is a set for the Monogram 1/48th F-14 kit.
Made by True Details. Still in production I could not say.
The other question is, is yours the Revell kit, Monogram, or
the Mono-Revellagram kit?
When the companies joined I have no idea which one was
put in the box. The F-14D was the old Monogram kit with
new parts to make 'D from a 'A model IIRC. Felix the Cat
decals. The old 'A kits I have around have yellow,black and
white markings. Which VF this is I don't remember.
Anyway enough rambling on my part. Yeah search the
Squadron web site, I am sure it is still listed there.

redraider56 said:
What variant are you looking for? True Details still makes a resin pit for the F-14A by Revell

The kit I Have is for the 14A, but I am converting it to the D version. It is a VF-142 squadron which did fly the D model as well but I am going to make it a VF-31 squadron

Like I posted above, I have found PE sets to convert it to a D version and resin seats, etc.

Latest posts

Back