Adam Savage builds a cosmonaut kit

Grendels

Watch his build, he really knows what he is doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBHQ7lQGOf0

Thoroughly enjoyed this, and him as a person. Great publicity for IM but I can't help wishing he didn't build it in a day lol, slapping oil paint around like that :-X

It was interesting to watch him complete the model as if in a production pipeline, but at the same time it was disappointing to see a model of that caliber completed in a such a way. Must be the difference between enjoying the process/result and having to get a product out the door quickly - like would be the case in a IL&M scenario. I thought the outcome was adequate for the time spent on it.

I don't mean to sound all sour on the video, Adam does appear to have a great time at most everything he does! Certainly can't fault the enthusiasm! ;D I would just prefer to watch someone take their time and massage the model into an outstanding piece of work - like I see here and other forums.

I luv his videos..bit I think one day builds are a bit misleading, several hours went into smoothing the resin an prepping it but people should remember that he comes from the professional model makers of ILM and practical effects so what he did with this kit was a film quality finish rather that a 100 hour endeavor that you could take microscope to.. He even said it in the video that some techniques were to , Hide the crimes, so he wasn't building a museum quality kit but something for himself that he could finish in a reasonable amount of time due to his schedule and still be a very nice finish. How he finishes anything is beyond me. Doing Mythbusters, the behind the myths tour, public speaking, othe events, has 2 teenage boys. So how he manages time is a feat to me..
Another great video is of the Overlook Maze he recreated from the Shining and in that one to it was a film quality finish as well but it was still amazing.. Thanx

matrucker jones said:
Resin dust is very dangerous, I was shocked to see "professionals" not using any safety precautions when sanding resin.

Not just the resin dust, but all of the paint he was spraying with no mask, must be some reaaallly good ventilation in that workshop.

This was awesome! Tested is a great web sight and YouTube channel if you like models, making stuff, tech, nerd culture...Great stuff!

Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. But I think I liked Watching Scott build that X-wing more. 😉

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHITcrnGn1U[/youtube]

A new one (filmed before he did the Cosmonaut kit, you can see it in the background) of him and one of the actors from BSG building some BSG kits. I really enjoy these builds. Sure he could spend a million hours painting these, or the IM kit, but his collection of stuff is so massive and he's schedule is probably intensely packed that it will only get looked at for maybe a few minutes per year. I liken it to painting wargaming minis. Rank and file troops are painted to just look good from 3–4' away in groups of 50+ models. But you take one model and look at it up close, meh. The models he makes will look good behind glass with a ton of other cool things around it.

Watch his blade runner gun builds if you want to see him get obsessive over detail…

I posted the Aaron Douglas up the other day....picked up some great tips as well from Adam Savage...they guy is superb!

Cool video.

Totally different take on 'the hobby' than what we're doing here - the speed I mean - but cool none the less.

Mikey_W_1980 said:
I posted the Aaron Douglas up the other day....picked up some great tips as well from Adam Savage...they guy is superb!

Saw that after I posted this. :( Womp.

Scott Girvan said:
Cool video.

Totally different take on 'the hobby' than what we're doing here - the speed I mean - but cool none the less.

Right? But I think it still falls under, how do you say it, get it done, not get it perfect? Although in this case it seems to be a more Canadian get'er'dun attitude. Being a member of Tested I think what they're trying to do is expose people (most of the Tested community is primarily SF / Silicon Valley digital start up kids, born with an iPhone and Facebook account) to hobbies outside of that world.

Latest posts

Back