About woodworking

CY343491

Hi,

I'm working on a ventilated spray booth project which i design on CAD environment and use 3mm MDF sheets. Unit consists of two parts, one part is where you spray, other one is vacuum chamber, where the fan belongs. Vacuum chamber have to have a service cover, for the first assembly or further faults it's a must. First i designed a hinged locked cover but it seemed to have insufficient leakproofness to me. Then i decided to use bolted connection, problem is that i can't use rivnuts like i use on metal sheets, wood is a problematic material.

I thought that i can epoxy glue my nuts to the backside of the MDF sheet, i don't know is it a proper way? Then i discovered a fastener called T nut, they mostly use it on thick woods, anyone tried it on 3mm MDF sheet, will it crack the sheet?

Hi,

I'm working on a ventilated spray booth project which i design on CAD environment and use 3mm MDF sheets. Unit consists of two parts, one part is where you spray, other one is vacuum chamber, where the fan belongs. Vacuum chamber have to have a service cover, for the first assembly or further faults it's a must. First i designed a hinged locked cover but it seemed to have insufficient leakproofness to me. Then i decided to use bolted connection, problem is that i can't use rivnuts like i use on metal sheets, wood is a problematic material.

I thought that i can epoxy glue my nuts to the backside of the MDF sheet, i don't know is it a proper way? Then i discovered a fastener called T nut, they mostly use it on thick woods, anyone tried it on 3mm MDF sheet, will it crack the sheet?
3mm MDF is very fragile when fixing. Can you post a picture of what you are trying to achieve. Pantherman

I'm going to bolt my service cover with M5 bolts, i need stationary nuts on vacuum chamber to hold bolts, now i can't take photos, it's holiday where i live everywhere is closed can't get any materials, Connection will be like below;
Bolted connection.JPG

There won't be so much pretension to use t nut, i'm thinking for a while, so i have another idea i'll try to sink plastic dowel and stregthen it with epoxy glue and apply M5 thread inside of dowel, do you think is it ok and sustainable?

What ?

drill holes and insert rivet nuts ? Anchored with an adhesive ?
double up the MDF where necessary ?
Not following the problem ...
You can't take photos on a holiday ?

Do the opposite and glue the bolts so they stick out like studs , then secure the panel using wingnuts ?

What ?

drill holes and insert rivet nuts ? Anchored with an adhesive ?
double up the MDF where necessary ?
Not following the problem ...
You can't take photos on a holiday ?
  1. I've used hundreds of rivnuts on metal sheets but never used on wood, on the videos i've seen they use t nuts on thick woods.
  2. Sheets will be cutted by laser so i have to use same thickness.
  3. I can take photos on holiday, but as i stated all stores are closed i have no materials so i don't have anything to take it's photo

I had to read that twice .
I understand now ; you haven't started this yet .

How bout that second solution ?

Do the opposite and glue the bolts so they stick out like studs , then secure the panel using wingnuts ?
You mean screw the cover with nuts? That's a nice idea too thanks btw. Do you think that two part epoxy will anchor bolts properly?

Yes , wingnuts .
and yes , CA , PVA or epoxy , it just has to hold the bolt head in place .

Maybe use carriage bolts so they engage the MDF mechanically with that square to prevent rotation .
Square the holes with a file .

Yes , wingnuts .
and yes , CA , PVA or epoxy , it just has to hold the bolt head in place .

Maybe use carriage bolts so they engage the MDF mechanically with that square to prevent rotation .
Square the holes with a file .
That's been good thanks dude.

If you can't get full threaded shanks then you van use oversize nuts as spacers ,, or multiple washers , or a short section of tube etc .

1688135450908.jpeg

If you can't get full threaded shanks then you van use oversize nuts as spacers ,, or multiple washers , or a short section of tube etc .

View attachment 101996
Do you know the DIN norm of this bolt, i'm sure it will be hard to find it on our local stores. Applying CA & baking soda trick then applying plenty of epoxy glue won't prevent rotational movement?

Latest posts

Back