A6M2b Zero 1/48

noname

Well I'm kind of in a car mode right now. But I did get this Hasegawa Zero just for this occasion so I'll start picking at it. I've only built one other plane model and it was an old 1/72 kit. So, this should be interesting....and fun right?

There is only three sets of sprue. Here they are if anybody is interested in the contents of the box.

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

Yes you are right quaralne. I haven't even had a chance to look it over real good yet. Just doesn't look like alot of parts to me. But that is kind of good as I'm not very familiar with aircraft. Where do those wing thingys go? ;D

Nice one fella ...of course its fun ;D

Chris.

More parts does not equal better in many cases. The cockpit and engine are very nicely detailed. It's a beautiful model when finished OOB. If you want a Zero with parts, you need to get one of Tamiya's 1/32 Zeros. That's an amazing model OOB.

Very similar kit to the one I completed a few months back....very nice kit, and great detail on it.

Only negative I would have for that kit would be the ribbing on the canopy is a little light, usually mask it with Bare Metal foil, but even that wouldn't show the ribbing through it, so I had to carefully hand paint all the ribbing on it. Otherwise, beautiful kit.

:D

Wow, a ZERO, my (aesthetically) favourite WWII airplane... ;)

(( Well ... all Dai-Nippon Teikoku Kaigun Koukuu-tai planes are -again- my "favourite aesthetically" WWII airplanes, but the "gray-painted" zero, is my "weakness" ;) ))

I´ll adopt an openly hedonistic voyeur behaviour here ( ;D )

Cheers,
RG

Thanks for your take on the kit guys. I think it will build nicely.

The colour, from what I can gather, is a bit up in the air. Apparently these planes had a khaki to greenish colour to them which when faded appeared to be more of a grey. I think this leaves the door open for a bit subjectivity. In other words, I can't go wrong as long as I'm in the neighborhood. ;D

Yes, the Zero is one of my favorites along with the Spitfire and Corsair among others.

Thanks schweinhund227, I started taking the interior parts off the sprue last night. Looks like a nice little cockpit and there was very little cleaning needed. Now I'll have to scratch up some belts ( and an eight track player ;D).

Scott ECH, I see what you mean, there is barely any definiton in the canopy!

Jelly, I'm really taken by that colour. For some reason I've always liked off white and warm grey colours like that.

Another one of my favorite aircraft. If your other models are anything to go by..., this will be stunning.

That is an awefully nice compliment Myke. I'll try not to disappoint.

If anybody is interested, here is a link to a conversation about the actual Mit. Zero colour. Apparently it was definately a greenish colour. Although I'm sure I could paint it a greyish colour as per fading. However it seems the planes at Pearl Harbour were newish. Supposedly had a gloss as well. Don't think I'll do that, was actually thinking of making a downed plane. I want to keep it intact though. I like the shape. ;D

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=26077

Great choice on the Zero have built a few myself. If you are interested in driving yourself crazy check out jaircraft.com. Those guys have so information on japanese aircraft it will make your head spin! Can't wait to see the first pics!

Thanks Modelfreak. I didn't know if I was ever going to be able to get back on the forum so I put the zero on the back burner and satrted a couple more car models. Oh well, I'll get to it, lots of time.

noname said:
Thanks Modelfreak. I didn't know if I was ever going to be able to get back on the forum so I put the zero on the back burner and satrted a couple more car models. Oh well, I'll get to it, lots of time.

:p
THAT would have been a disaster, mate, :p + :p + :p ... ad inifinitum

Glad to see you on-line again, Noname :D
RG

Thanks Jelly, nice of you to say. I'll have to start picking at this bird again.

Glad to read that you're back at working on the Zero, as you had posted earlier lots of time...

Hey folks. Just finally getting at the interior. Not going to do much to as it probably won't be much seen once together. Not only that but I don't know alot about these complex interior. It ain't no car that's fur sure!

Anyway, I did want to scratch a harness. All the models I've seen have the shoulder belt. But the one 1:1 pic I found actually shows a lap belt without the shoulder belts. Anybody have any idea of what is correct? I've Googled images but often the people taking the pics are sitting on the belts so you can't see them. Thanks

Latest posts

Back