A Pair of Mandalorian Helmets

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
For a cosplay my son and I are still hoping to use at Celebration, or possibly FanX this year, I started work on what is arguably the most difficult part of an Mandalorian-style bounty hunter: the helmets.
I apologize for not posing the pics, but the video really tells the story
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
Using a latex caulk. It'll stay flexible, yet fill the seams fairly well.
Odin Abbott, whose templates I used for my son's helmet, uses something similar
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
With the builds complete, I am now posting the FULL build gallery

Building a couple of Mandalorian helmets for cosplays my son and I will be doing later this year
3XcAP60.jpg


My son's helmet will be based on the "Heavy Infantry Helmet" templates by Odin Abbott
zThy62W.jpg


For my helmet, I'll be using the "Mandalorian" templates from DIY Props and Punished Props
adw4LWK.jpg


Laying out the parts for my son's helmet on some 10mm HD EVA foam
MMb8dWr.jpg


Then laid out mine on the same
hJVDo64.jpg


Then we have the parts to be made from 6mm HD EVA foam
There will also be some parts cut from 2mm foam
WovjqQz.jpg
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
The completed dome of my son's helmet
E0lQYYD.jpg


Back piece and main face piece in place
TLSvlQu.jpg


Back vent detail
Ipd8rLo.jpg


Starting formation of the cheeks
7H8scz1.jpg


Cheeks fully in place, and visor opening cut
JD1kdQ4.jpg

jqOROWu.jpg


Ear pieces under construction
MgmHGH1.jpg


And fully assembled
NihHAgg.jpg

NJMC2br.jpg
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
Starting work on my helmet my heat forming the pieces to give them a bit of shape
sLO3JqU.jpg


Dome assembled
cSRYFqE.jpg


Back in place
PTbJgNE.jpg

15RdQP0.jpg


Visor and cheek pieces
y0wSZ2S.jpg


Assembled cheeks
tfB2Nby.jpg


And the cheeks are glued into place
I also cut a groove for later placement of the visor
quqhW6k.jpg

PT2gTIv.jpg


Ear pieces in place, and additional piece over the visor section
e0yh9WW.jpg


Rear vent detail
OgrLvXP.jpg
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
Beginning sanding work with a detail sander.
The foam is getting a little chewed up at this stage.
I also had to thin down the interior of the cheeks as they were rubbing on my son's cheeks
VRgCres.jpg

12JnFrf.jpg


Sanding on my helmet. I've also opened the visor
fe7xI3y.jpg

t2HjXsZ.jpg


Filling seams on my son's helmet using Kwik Seal.
I also used it on the rough areas of the surface
GbbJgu3.jpg


For my helmet, I did the seam filling with a spackle compound
TqmgVNw.jpg


A coat of black Plasti-Dip
kimsfDU.jpg

MDcg9Np.jpg


Followed by a coat of "Flat Cold Iron" spray paint
yMgVQnC.jpg

k6SSPNA.jpg
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
Masked off and sprayed the red sections on the front of my helmet
6YLbXzu.jpg

rhWBUN5.jpg


Painted in the cheek insets and ear pieces in Vallejo Dark Grey primer
cuxZek0.jpg


For my son's helmet, we went with Krylon "Global Blue" and the same red I'd used on mine
dLD1CSB.jpg


While Odin included a template for the visor on his, I needed to make one for mine.
This was done by placing printer paper behind the opening and tracing it in Sharpie
r3q9rNY.jpg


Took three tries, but I got a template that would fit
UteF8tS.jpg


Masked off some detail areas, as well as free-handing some markings
2yYqpWU.jpg


Removing the masking did some damage to the metallic color.
Luckily, the sealer coat did bring it back into normalcy
gLv3PA3.jpg
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
Laid painter's tape on both sides of the visors I'd be cutting, and then taped the templates into place
WicLCxs.jpg


Cut the visors out using my Dremel
bi1Ss16.jpg


Used a heat gun to make the visors better fit the shape of the helmets.
(In retrospect, I'd have had an easier time if I'd done the heat forming BEFORE cutting the visors)
UAWlmQn.jpg


With the visors in place, here are the finished pics:
My son's helmet:
CnqZlq5.jpg

1dERJS9.jpg

fEYL9Wi.jpg


My helmet:
SR2CM8p.jpg

TGzq3CI.jpg

POisCgE.jpg


Youtube link to the finale:
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
11,080
Decided to go in and fix a couple of flaws in my Mandalorian helmet.

My mandalorian cosplay helmet as originally finished.
Visible here are some areas where the paint had bled under the tape I'd used for masking
j0b9nVw.jpg


And here is the main reason for this update.
I don't really like how this emblem turned out
mbEjf3a.jpg


Used my printer-which opted to be VERY uncooperative-to print up some emblems more along the lines of what I was looking for.
These were painted over with Tamiya clear red to fix some of the printing issues, and are HEAVILY based on the emblem for Games Workshop's "Luna Wolves" Space Marine Legion
wcymLh8.jpg


Striping cleaned up after decanting some of the spray paint used for the base color.
I also completely painted over the old emblem attempt that had disappointed me
yuDG1ku.jpg


End results:
Clean striping
OYhS3nh.jpg


MUCH better emblem.
Zy18yMg.jpg


Youtube link:
 

Latest posts

Top