A Missing Market?

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
I am always surprised at how few of the car model kits out there are of cars from the 1930s and earlier. Considering the vast number of auto manufacturers there were in Europe and North America in the first part of the 20th century, you'd think there would be all sorts of untapped potential here. Instead, everything is 56 Chevys, 1950s T-Birds, 68 Mustangs, etc. The 1930s cars seem always to be the same ones (B roadsters, for example). No problem with their popularity, but I can't help wondering if a potential market is being missed here. If you look at Jay Leno's Youtubes, you see so many cool vehicles of which you might say "why isn't there a kit of that?" Just a few thoughts.

Their are plenty '32 Fords on the market, the last offering from Revell is probably one of the nicest kits ever made.

RM4242_1.jpg
Revell '30 Model A

85-0882.jpg

Revell '32 Street Rod

REV887.jpg

Revell '32 3 Window

REV4939.jpg

Revell '32 Orange Crate

REV4995.jpg

Revell '32 Roadster

RMX2062.jpg

Revell '32 Sedan

rmx4228.jpg
Revell '32 Five Window

AMT770.jpg

AMT '33 Willys

LND72157.jpg

Lindberg '34 Ford Pickup

RM4227-1.jpg

Revell '36 Ford Convertible

REV0884.jpg

Revell '37 Ford Sedan

REV4097.jpg

Revell '37 Ford Coupe

REV4930.jpg

Revell '37 Ford Delivery

REV_7208.jpg

Revell '37 Ford PU

REV4241.jpg

Revell '39 Chevy Coupe

And AMT has this one coming sometime this month

product.jpg

AMT '36 Ford Coupe

So no shortage of Fords from the '30s, I would like to see more Chevys and Plymouths from the 30's made, but there are still a fair amount of them out there.

The Revell '32 Ford Five Window is probably one of the best kits ever to come out of Revell.

I wonder if Swanningabout meant factory stock 30s cars?

I always wanted to see more 4 doors and station wagons but I know they wouldn't be as popular and therefor are unlikely to see. I only have one station wagon in my stash. Don't think I have any 4 doors. A person even has to do some modifying if they want to make a top model into the lower model. :-\

Ya, I think he was talking more about the less popular vehicles that were out of reach for most in that period like Bentley, Duesenberg, Auburns, Cord, Lagonda and the like and then the brass cars of the 1910's like the Thomas that won the around the world race..Most kits are the cars/trucks that were "Hot Rodded and customized" in the 40's and 50's by GI's coming back from WWII. I love those kits to but it would be nice build an Auburn Boattail or a Cord 810..thanx

Comes down to one thing. Will it sell?

A '32 Ford will always sell, which I think is why you see manufacturers lean in that direction.

Would a plain jane '32-'35 Plymouth sell? Likely a bit, but not enough for someone like Revell to sink $250G plus into cutting new tools of it. Would love to see something like that, but if the company doesn't think they will sell enough to get their investment back many times over, then they aren't likely going to do it.

Add to that, you have to factor in licensing as well, which adds to the cost of making the kit. That's why for modern vehicles you only see stuff like Corvette, Mustang, Camaro and Challenger, heck the last pick up truck that was made were in the '99 to '02 model years. I would love to see kit of a new Ford Raptor, but unless the model company thinks they can make a profit back on the investment, they simply won't do it.

Well, Monogram has/had series of classics like Packard phaeton, 1937 Cord, Duesenberg Town Car, 32 Cadillac V16 etc, Johan had a number of vintage vehicles such as 31 Cadillac phaeton and others, Italeri has/had a number of vintage kits such as 33 Cadillac Fleetwood. AMT MPC did Stutz Bearcat and the Thomas Flyer and don't forget 1928-1931 Model A's done by AMT/MPC/Revell. Those are what I can see eye balling things here in the workshop.

Regular pre1939 kits are generally not big sellers unless they can be hot rodded. I don't think the Bearcat and Flyer were great sellers and there were more people around when they came out that would have appreciated them than there is now. As for mainstreamers 4 doors example we have to rely on aftermarket. Morgan Automotive detailing offers a sweet 40 Ford Woody resin kit. I thought it would sell like hot cakes. It has not so he was going to release a 40 4 door but has put that on hold as the woody isn't selling up to expectations. :( :'(

Best bet I guess is to keep an eye on e-Bay.

Look at Lindberg kits..Have seen quite a few less popular models and some of the iconic cars from that period.. :)

Latest posts

Back