A-7A Corsair II: Completed

Should I paint the Navy or Camo version?

• Total voters
Re: A-7A Corsair II

I am probably going to go with Wheels up, that seems to be the consensus among the post. (That is what I wanted to do anyway, but I wanted to let other give me some feedback.)

I did start on the piolots seat tonight. One of the things that bothered me about it was that it was just a square rectangle. When looking at reference photos, that is not at all what you see. It kind of stair steps up. So I got out a file and carved those steps into the seat.

20110216_3.jpg

I am going to take a few thin strips of tape and try to build up a harness, strip the current paint and repaint her. Since I used Tamiya paints, a little bit of alcohol will take that paint right off.

It is a start, but to me that already improves the seat quite a bit. It takes out the feeling that they just didn't give a damn about the cockpit on this model.

Next the instrument panel. I took a look at my sheet styrene supply and I have some very thin styrene in the stash, so I might try to build up a small panel. I have a black and white schematic of that panel that I could reduce down and make a decal out of really easily. So I might just give that a shot. Probably would take about an hour to do. I got the idea on how to do it from replying to a post on the video itself. The trick is going to be cutting everything just right or it will look bad.

As for a control stick, I don't know if there is room, but a large straight pin would do the trick if I build up the end a bit with supper glue.

JMac: She is a 1/110 scale, so not not large at all. I did a ebay search for figures in that scale and all I got out of it was another plane model, so I have to stay away from that. ::)

If I find a figure in scale, I will put them in, but that might be hard to do. It might be easier to just try and sculpt one, but I have only sculpted one thing before and that was a rock monster for the spring contest.

Wait a minute, I do have some figures close to that scale.... a few train figures left over from that build, they are z guage, so yes I do have a figure!!!! :D quite a few of them. So thank you for the post, I will soon have a pilot!!! The only problem is they are baseball players, but hey that might be part of the fun!!

You all got to see my thought process on this one, I was thinking as I typed. Thanks for the post they helped to inspire me!!

Bummer about the landing gear doors. Makes the doors on my XL look like a perfect fit.
Very ambitious plan for such a small cockpit. I look forward to seeing it done

It is close to done, I have a small issue with the canopy and it's fit. But that won't take much to fix. I also got her mounted to the stand tonight. I am itching to paint this thing.

Awesome work and very ambitious plans! I gotta say - I like your YouTube channel. Can't wait for the next episode.

Steve

Looking really good, John.
Can hardly wait to see her with paint

Cool, the front office looks a lot better.
It will look sharp with the camo later. Are you planning some in-flight stand?

Thanks JMac: Yes I am planing an in-flight stand. I have drilled a hole in the bottom and glued in a steel rod. The stand has a brass tube near the same size. It should show in the next video. I have also given her a base color coat. If everything goes right this weekend I could actually finish her.

Thanks Q. She is almost done, painted up the ordinance today, up next decals.

Nice job with the camo, glad to see the silly putty worked out so well.

play-doh wouldn't have been so forgiving. ;D

Excellent so far.

Thanks Ken, the silly putty worked amazingly well. It was the easiest masking job that I have ever done. I will be using this in the future for sure!

Latest posts

Back