A-10 Thunderbolt Walkaround

Very cool!

up until 2010 or so, we had an airbase a couple of miles away that had a squadron of A-10s. They would often be buzzing around practicing formation stuff. I remember they had a very distinctive sound

Last edited:
Yes , that TF-34 has a uniquely smooth sound .
The S-3 Vikings we carried use that same engine and sound very similar .

When I was a young man/air defense artilleryman, I always loved when the A-10's were overhead on exercises providing cover. A-10's overhead, Apaches covering from the rear, Abrams tanks all over the dang place, etc. It was raining hardware, hallelujah.

Yes , that TF-34 has a uniquely smooth sound .
The S-3 Vikings we carried use that same engine and sound very similar .
One of my all time favorite butt savers when I was over seas the purr that bad boy makes is sweet music to my ears.

Interestingly enough a few years back a local radio show had this call in game called guess the sound .. for 3 days straight they played the nosie of an A-10 Vulcan cannon being fired and no one could get it but when I heard it I new instantly what it was I never called in but it was crazy how identifiable the sound was even years later.

Fun fact the aircraft was designed around the weapons system in other words some one had that cool ass cannon and was like you know what would be cool if we could strap a plane to this bad boy.. an thus the Fairchild republic A10 warthog was born.

Latest posts

Back