41 Chevy Pickup 2 n 1 Revell 1/25

hooterville75

Id like to officially submit my second entry into the BSC. I will be entering this entry into the automotive division. It is a 1941 Chevy Pickup 2 n 1 Revell 1/25 kit. It has the parts for a Custom and a Stock Version. I may do a bit of each building the Stock version using the Custom low profile tires. I am not going by the colors on the box, Im going to customize it with my own colors. Instead of using the wooden decal that came with the kit on the bed of the truck, Im going to make my own bed with balsa wood. Hope you all like this build when completed. Im hoping to get started on this build sometime this week. Will start a new build thread in the automotive section of the forum. Thanks for looking and keep on building producing that eye candy.

41ChevyPickup1_zpse8176dfe.jpg

41ChevyPickup_zps985896cd.jpg

41ChevyPickup2_zps5f32e45d.jpg

41ChevyPickup3_zpsb1eafb44.jpg

41ChevyPickup4_zps734a0e89.jpg

41ChevyPickup5_zps91bb50a8.jpg

41ChevyPickup6_zps7ed84355.jpg

41ChevyPickup7_zps87879cb4.jpg

41ChevyPickup8_zpsbf94838e.jpg

41ChevyPickup9_zpsb0b8adab.jpg

41ChevyPickup10_zps7a8bf2e3.jpg

41ChevyPickup11_zpsacb733d2.jpg

Thats a brilliant little kit ...watching ;D

Chris S said:
Thats a brilliant little kit ...watching ;D

Thanks Chris. Im actually excited about making the bed of the truck with the balsa wood instead of the kit decals that came with it. Will be totally new for me something out of my comfort zone trying some new techniques other then the normal.

Nice one, a direct competitor, looking forward to see whit wich approach you're gonna pull this one out.
good luck and good build

Hulk

This will be nice to watch; I have seen a similar kit at a local store, so you may have me heading back for it after watching for a bit! :)

I finally got some time today to sit down and get this kit started. So I got the Cab, Hood, and Chassis frame cleaned up, scribed, and sanded ready to prime.

100_0212_zps9eb1c22e.jpg

I also got the Chassis and Chassis Section #2 of the instructions cleaned up again ready to prime

100_0213_zpsdcb4e19f.jpg

The way I found the easiest to this point is to go by sections of the instructions cleaning the parts up, and taping them to a bigger index card to be primed and painted. I then write the section #, part number and part name on a smaller index card to be taped to the front of the bigger index card so I know what parts are what and what color they get painted. Sometimes if the section has multiple colors the parts get painted, Ill then tape the parts of each color to a bigger index card and paint as a group. The section #2 that I am showing in this photo are all the same color so I just taped them to the card and will paint together. Starting next model I'm going to attempt to build each sub assembly if there all the same color before painting. Just trying different and new techniques to find what works the best for me. This has worked the best for me to this point though so I want to continue with this technique with this build as its for the BSC. I'm hoping to have this kit be the best I've built yet to this point. Thoughts, suggestions and cons are always appreciated with any post I make of a WIP. Thanks in advance.

Here is the part number and parts name smaller index card letting me know what the parts are for section #2 taped to the front of the bigger index card.

100_0214_zps022f58c0.jpg

I'm planning on spending a bigger part of the day tomorrow working on this build so please stay tuned for additional photos and updates of this build as it progresses. Thanks again.

I do something similar to this with tape on a wood block when I spray parts that are too small to put on any kind of clip or holder thing. I have to be real careful not to lose them. It's usually straight into one of my dehydrators from the paint booth. As for organizing parts, I'm using snack sized plastic bags for my contest build. Each sub-assembly has it's own labeled bag with parts from several different kits. Organization and structure is a real challenge for me.

Good luck and have fun with your build.

Dale

Thanks Dale. Same to you as well!!!! This hobby just seems to get more fun as the days go buy. When I prime and paint the parts by color I do something similar to what you mentioned. After I have all the parts primed and painted I then put the parts into baggies sorted by assemblies or instruction numbers. Doing it this way not only keeps things organized and structured but it I also familiarize myself with the parts as well. It seems the more I study the instructions and parts the better I understand how everything should go together as I build the kit. I really like either of these two ways mentioned. I really want to try to get to the point where I can build a sub assembly and then paint it after its built. Will give me better control of the airbrush I believe. Practice man ha ha Like Allen Iverson says, its only practice mainnnnnnnnn haha. Happy building my friend.

Did some more prep work today on the 41. Taking my good ole time as I want to do the very best I can do on this build. Being on disability, a 60 color paint set or Badger Krome would be very very very beneficial to me ha ha. Dont have the skills of alot on this forum but will give it my very best 110%. Here is some of the work I got done today. More prep work getting ready for Primer.

100_0218_zpsf75647fc.jpg

100_0217_zpsb57c4802.jpg

I stripped the kit chrome off the wheels of the kit and am going to custom paint the wheels. Heres the stripping process with the good ole trustworthy, handy, dandy Bleech.

100_0216_zps808ca764.jpg

100_0215_zpsab8a271c.jpg

Here is the final wheel after being stripped. Some clean up work to do on the wheels yet before primer and painting.

100_0222_zps66a3b0f1.jpg

Going to be putting another video up on youtube later this evening of my work to this point with some other sutff as well. Stay tuned for more progress as it happens. Thanks for looking all I truly appreciate your support and words of encouragement.

Thanks guys, hope to get a decent afternoon into the evening working on the kit tomorrow after the little ones indoor soccer game at 11:45 AM.

One, looks good so far, two really like how you hold and sort your parts on the tape with index cards. Going to try that on my builds, might help with my color order of painting. Well good luck,

Few more final tweaks and Im ready to primer and paint.

100_0224_zpsb1f6ec09.jpg

These god for saken wooden rails I want to make of balsa and are giving me fits getting the size right without snappen the right hand side peg off when cutting out.

100_0225_zpsf7e3002a.jpg

Midnight the Swamp Pit Assistant and my best friend

100_0226_zpsfd4ecba5.jpg

Good start there Hooter ,try using a harder wood if the balsa is too soft ,something like Basswood ,or spruce ...etc

Chris.

Chris S said:
Good start there Hooter ,try using a harder wood if the balsa is too soft ,something like Basswood ,or spruce ...etc

Chris.

Thanks, Im going to take a lil adventure here in the next few hours surfing for the cheapest place to buy this stuff. Id like to get some Ibeam styrene as well for when making the wooden bed. Do you recommend laying the wooden bed right on top of the kit bed or eliminating the kit bed and just using the balsa wood bed Im going to build ? Something I dont understand with the wooden rails is the left side peg never breaks off its always and ONLY the right hand side. I tried to do about six of them yesterday and as you can see by the two on the desk every one of them snapped on the right side. Im starting to like this going out of my comfort zone trying things for the first time as its very exciting. Thinking maybe a rusty, beat up look for the paint job instead of a pretty shiny finish ha ha. We shall see after Im ready to get to that part.

Latest posts

Back