3D printing custom parts

mannloon

Hello people. I am super new, but I have tried to look around and haven't seen anything on exactly what I wish to ask all of you. I am a very novice scale modeler, and have recently returned/basically started making 1/35 armor models. But I make 3D models for a living in Maya and 3DS max.

I am curious if it has been tried to make custom parts similar to these resin parts I see on ebay via shapeways.com. I am foolishly working on something like 7 panzer models simultaneously in my off time, sort of learning and trying things out, so I don't really have anything in mind to make for myself. As I said I'm new at this.

So I would be willing to experiment with someone who did need a part that simply wasn't available, or wasn't quite right in the form it was available. Or is too expensive...you know whatever. I am unsure if the proper kind of styrene or plastic is offered on their site, but I would imagine something is that would work.

The idea then is that if someone wants to contact me through here, and discuss the needed piece, I would then 3D model it to scale. I would then give them the file, so that they could order it through the site, and test out the process. I would assume from what I know of most scale model parts it would be pretty simplistic on it's own, unless it was like a turret or something. I would do other scales or objects, armor is just my favorite. I dabble in 1/48 aircraft as well.

Not looking to get paid, just want to test out the process in case I get good enough at painting and weathering (right now still using enamels/brushes and suck big time) that I keep this up and want to customize my own stuff. If this has been tried before my apologies, I looked up 3D printing on the forum and didn't see any 3D modelers trying to make custom parts. I don't now how quickly I could model something up for someone, depends on the part and my free time.

Let me know guys, also love the SMA videos on youtube, great site/forum all around. Lurk here whenever I need answers.

Seems like you have unique set of skills (3D modeling) and I have a unique set of tools (3D printer).

It's been a super long time since I've logged into this site, but that's because I recently got into 3D printing. I've already built one printer, and now I'm building a second. I would like to use my printer to make custom things for my models.

Want to make something cool? I'd be willing to print stuff for you if you can teach me some 3D modeling tricks.

Latest posts

Back