3 Foot TOS Galactica

robiwon

Wow, sorry guys. Didn't realize how long it had been since I've been here. Trying to keep up with all the forums one belongs to is a full time job!

Anywho, here is my latest project, a 37.5 inch 1/2 Studio Scale TOS Battlestar Galactica. It's about 15 pounds of resin goodness mastered by Mike Salzo. It is definitely a beast to the least! I plan to have it done for Wonderfest this year. Yes, it will be lighted. I'm off to work right now and will post some more pictures tonight. Here's a few to look over!

dmrwn6.jpg

bjd6h0.jpg

Yes, that is the old Monogram Galactica in front!

nyg0ea.jpg

That could be a perfect compromise size! 6ft is clearly too humongous for anything else than a basement to display it in. The Monogram and Moebius are just too small. While a 3ft'r can be tucked into a nice, low-ceiling'ed display case in almost any room.

The cost must be a buck at least and worth every copper piece!

Looking forward to where you take this! Will you go with fiber optics or a pass of clear goo, frost and mask the windows or another method?

(Agreed. Too many forums can turn a hobby into a non-paying, full-time clerical job!)

Thanks guys. Yes, it's definitely a beast. It will be lit with .5mm fiber optic. Picking up some brass tube today for the mount, two instead of a single central mount for it. I'm looking around to see if I can find something like an Ikea coffee table or something that would work as a display case. Maybe something I can mod to be enclosed.

If anyone has an idea on that I would love to hear it.

As far as the cost, you would be surprised just how affordable this massive kit is. It's a lot lower than I thought it was going to be. Mike wanted to price it so that everyone who wanted one would be able to afford it. And he did!

Thanks guys. Yes, this kit has a ton of details. Here are a few more pics.

Starting the internal bracing. The bolts holding the head and engine block on line up. These tubes will be JB Welded in place so no future flex for this ship!
14bi4he.jpg

Engine section and bracing. The plan is to have all LEDs in here. They will be accessable thru the top engine cover. It will be held in place with strong magnets.

2qi689g.jpg

Detail on one of the landing bay pods.
kb67mu.jpg

As I told you already, I love this. Framework....excellent. Idea's on paint....excellent. Salzo's puppy......excellent.

Thanks. Devising a plan to use replaceable nameplates so I can change the name of the ship at will. The plan is to use small strips of steel (if I can what I'm looking for) and have different ship names applied to several plates. I'll then have small rare earth magnets counter sunk into the pods. Then I can just remove one name plate and slap a different set on.

I want to do Galactica of course, but so do most people! I really like the name Battlestar Titanic.

Testing some mesh fabric called "tulle" I got from a member on SSM. I think it looks pretty good. With a coat or two of flat black to "fill in the blanks", this stuff could work. It would be white glued on top of some frosted acetate to diffuse light from being backlit from blue LEDs. What do you think?

t8n2oo.jpg

2exlnif.jpg

Scrapped the aluminum tube in the above pic as it was to big, inner diameter wise. Picked up some brass tubing this weekend. Much better fit. I used 1/4 inch brass tube for the main run and 9/32 brass tube sleeves that fit over the bolt threads and main tube. This is all JBWelded in place for maximum strength. The area where the tubes pass thru the center bulkheads will be packed with epoxy putty to lock them to center of the hull.

1/4 brass tube with 9/32 sleeves.

Sleeve is JBWelded to each end.

Slid over the threads for the bolt on the head.

And for the engine block.

And both braces JBWelded in place.

Now the problem is there are a few people who may be doing 3D printed upgrade parts for this. Do I wait for those, or continue with the kit parts? The new 3D printed parts have more accurate detail then the kit parts they replace and are prominent parts.

That thing is freaking awsome...Great work it..As for your question..Are you happy with it as it is??? if so then finish if your not then wait...Either way it's an awsome model... :)

Started on the landing bays yesterday. I'm going to be scratch building the interiors. The RC kit would be great, but being strapped for cash with WF approching, well...

So the opening to the bay is very small, instead of spending a ton of time scratch building I'm taking a different approach. I am building four bulkheads. Each will be detailed with greeblies. What this does is it allows me to build only what can be seen in front of each bulkhead. I wont need to scratch a full detailed interior (walls, ceilings), stuff you can't see. But it will give the impression of being fully detailed.

I started with a cardboard mock up.

Then, used that as a template on sheet plastic.

Cut each out and added some photo etch detail.

Added some greeblies from a 1/700 battleship and some paint.

Test fit.

And the rest of the bulkheads under construction. Once these are done I'll detail the floors and make false walls.

I'm going to try my hand at scratch built Vipers to park in there. Those are going to be tiny!

Small update. Got a bit more done. The going has been slow due to Darth Real Life. We have our grandson staying with us for a few weeks. He's going to Wonderfest with us!

Got the t-strip glued on the front caps. Strangely I only got enough from Mike to do four of the twelve strips needed. He supplied 1.2mm ABS strip. Thankfully, I had a whole pack of 1.2mm styrene t-strip. So all was good.

Got the caps glued in place.

And more greeblies glued around the hull.

And an over the top shot!

100_6992_zps3b248684.jpg

Latest posts

Back