Just a quick update so yall don't think I was slacking. I did get done a few more little items like 5 O'clock shadows, and dark circles under the riders eyes. Not too visible here, but my camera is jackin me on the focal plane, wa!
A few more tiems to tend to on the Ranger, like matching the havres sack to the strap or vise versa.
Another quick look at a few items like the Tommy gun and dark circles under the eyes.
I took a slightly different approach on painting the grain than from what I've read, but I may have missed an article somewhere. I used Tamiya's Dark Yellow XF-59 as a base coat and Red Brown XF-64 as the grains pattern. Looking over several pics from the net I came up with a tight grain pattern and tried to lighten/thin certain areas and darken/thicken others with the paint consistency. I then hit it with the hair dryer for a quick dry and used Burnt Umber for the stain color and let it dry.
The Tommy gun was painted before attaching it to the figure and inside the hands. That right hand was a doozy to work, a royal pain in the hind quarter. Iâ€™m glad I got the gun done beforehand.
After the hands were painted I tried to use graphite from the pencil directly but found the pattern was too jacked up. So, I ran the lead over some sand paper and applied the graphite powder on with a thinner dampened brush. That seemed to work out best and then I used a mix of silver and gun metal for the shiny bolt part.
Ok, at the risk of seeming redundant I am posting pics of the trousers after highlights and Dull Coat.
After the initial oil drying, 4-5 days, I went back and added some highlights yesterday. Feathering in oils is pretty easy if you have several broad damp brushes and thinned oils, almost watery, very transparent. This is where oils can be like acrylics, NOT, lol. I threw that in there for our acrylic compadres.
Some of the shadows are still too much in depth, so there is more to do, but light feathering will work this out over time. I usually take a few days to do this process, look it over, then adjust where needed to keep from getting carried away. Have another figure on stand-by to keep the ball rolling.
Hope yall like the outcome so far and holler if you see anything I may have missed.
Well, after realizing I didn't take any SBS pics because I was "too dang excited" to get the bunker powered up, (way before the snow fly, mind you)(so, don't tell my wife, she hasn't balked yet) I gots some pics of where we are now.
It's incredibly well sculpted as expected from Steve; he's never disappointed me in his talent to make resin look so real in every fold of a uniform right down to the veins on the hands, incredible work!!! I'm gonna have to learn this discipline some day, retirement is lookin better all the time, HA!
Here's what started the whole shebang in the expansion of this monster dio, size wise. I realized upon delivery that one of the legs would have to be altered to touch the ground, read major alteration here, which I would actually have to cut into the "hip" and destroy in the process all that incredible work in an attempt to reduplicate the incredible uniform work done by Steve. Now, I'm not one to bash or crash on another's incredible work unless I have to, especially when I know deep at heart I can't do it, so I decided the best thing to do was to acquire a sidecar and call it good.
Steve knew of my dilemma and graciously provided another helmet and set of boots to make my weak skills look impressive. Ya Brother Stevo, you Ruck On Bro!
Yehaaaaa, my alterations have come out somewhat acceptable and I recon we're gonna roll from here. So, this is where we are at today. What follows are a few pics of what I did remember to click in my up coming winter excitement. Yall can get a good idea where itâ€™s headed from here. We are at full power up on the bunker and sniffin paint and gluin them fingers together has never felt better!
All comments and suggestions are welcome as you please and thx for watchin.
I'll add SBS pics as I go from here on out and keep er rollin, especially since the snow fly is not far off the horizon. ;D
This sidecar build was pretty easy considering it was already built by Steve from ReeDee's Miniatures. I had a little clean up, but it's exactly the same as the one that arrived in the full kit. More work to do, but we are forging on.