200mm WWII Dio, Figures and Bikes

Steve Ski

This is my first time posting my work here, but I see some familiar faces and that's always good. Hope yall get a kick outta this.

This dio is going to be huge and I'll have to work out the logistics for display later, my curio cabinet will be stretched to the limit. Currently three 200mm figures are slated for this dio with a 1/9th Harley and a 1/9th BMW R75. I haven't fully configured the layout yet, but there will be a structure and road with possibly a wooden fence included. May need some input when the time comes for that Gents.

What is the reason for building this dio with such Large Scale figures you ask? Well, for starters I love Large Scale figures (painting them) and I had acquired one of them just recently, the other two were already on my shelf. Inventory usage while telling a story would cover the first reason. Second, these two bikes present an intriguing challenge that struck my fancy. I can make this work, but it's gonna take quite a bit of time. Given the fact that I'm a slow painter means it'll be on time, my time, lol. ;D

And lastly, I can’t recall anyone building a dio lately that had three or more 200mm figures with vehicles and structures. I'm sure it's been done, but I recon it’s something different and I’m always wanting to stretch the limits of my abilities just a bit more to see just how far I can go. That’s probably the most motivational reason of all, improving my skills in this Sport. Gotta love it.

So please feel free to comment as you see fit and suggestions are always helpful, I’m still learning too. Now it’s time to get back to sniffin paint and gluin my fingers together, HA!

Cheers, Ski.

_DSC0227a-vi.jpg

_DSC0239a-vi.jpg

_DSC0251b-vi.jpg

_DSC0269a-vi.jpg

P.S. I'll give yall the specs on the figures and kits numbers shortly. ;D

i love the idea ski, hope youve got plenty of space!

this will be a cool build, bring it on!

Steve- :eek: your a mad man! (((LOL))) this dio I must say is epic!.The Harley is very impressive,as well as the fig.In this scale details are conveyed in a realistic way,and looks like your well on your way.What type of base do you have in mind,and how will you construct the buildings?....anyhoo I'am tuned into this one :)

Thats a Huuuuge undertaking !!! ;D ;D ;D ,But I likes yer style ,and your work .So I shall get comfy ;D ....carry on .

Chris.

Thx Gents for the encouragement, greatly appreciated.

Leighbo said:
i love the idea ski, hope youve got plenty of space! this will be a cool build, bring it on!
Space is gonna be a challenge Leighbo, but I'll make er happen.

chriss67 said:
Steve- :eek: your a mad man! (((LOL))) this dio I must say is epic!.The Harley is very impressive,as well as the fig.In this scale details are conveyed in a realistic way,and looks like your well on your way.What type of base do you have in mind,and how will you construct the buildings?....anyhoo I'am tuned into this one :)
I'm thinking an angular base to get more visibility of all the subjects and rigs, plus Chuck Doan's method of making structures is the order of the day. I just have to justify the construction material.

JohnSimmons said:
Yeah wow this will be epic!
Thx Buddy, appreciate it.

Chris S said:
Thats a Huuuuge undertaking !!! ;D ;D ;D ,But I likes yer style ,and your work .So I shall get comfy ;D ....carry on . Chris.
Just got my R75 book in today, so I'm going thru the technical wiring, cables, etc., befire I get too carried away and have to go backwards to go forward.

P.S. The straps and buckles loops/locks on the Ranger figure were made from copper wire as you can tell, but very time consuming. As mentioned by Chriss67, in this scale everything is visible. Another excuse for me to take my time, lol. Thx Guys.

P.S.S. This will be an oilers job when it comes to figures, acrylics being a base only. Sorry to the acrylic addicts in advance, boohahahaaa, lol.

geegad said:
loving the detailing...the work you are doing is superb

Thank you Sir, appreciate the motivation.

After reviewing this book I just got on the BMW R75 I can see some modifications that can be made, and I can get rid of this lousy vinyl figure Dragon chose to keep in the kit. I'll post some pics soon to update.

Thx Guys. Cheers, Ski.

Looking very good, and looking forward to seeing you carry on with this build. One question, what is the scale of the figure in the first picture of the bike? (I assume 1/35)

Subhuman1 said:
Looking very good, and looking forward to seeing you carry on with this build. One question, what is the scale of the figure in the first picture of the bike? (I assume 1/35)

Hey Dan,

Actually that little feller, slated for a "Panama Invasion" dio, is 1/35, so you can get a persepctive of just how big this dio is going to have to be to tell the story I'm after. Call me stuck on stupid or a glutin for punishment, but Large Scale figures get me goin. Thx for watchin Dan.

Update: Still workin the Beemer and will have a few pics soon. That book really helped with some tech difficulties I was running into. I'm doing some reconfig's and alterations now.

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. Gee, love the pic Bro, killer!!! Ruck Over Baby!

Subhuman1 said:
Holy carp Batman! Ok that does really give it a sense of scale then, nice!

Yep Sub, as you can tell the detail is more of a critical necessity than a luxury. So it's gonna be a slow process.

Cheers, Ski.

Who makes those two big bike kits?

This is going to be a real show stopper when finished, can't wait to see it come together, i love large scale stuff also especially cars and bikes ;D

More updates and photo's please :)

Gag

The Nylon Gag said:
Who makes those two big bike kits?

This is going to be a real show stopper when finished, can't wait to see it come together, i love large scale stuff also especially cars and bikes ;D

More updates and photo's please :)

Gag

Hey Gag, thx for watchin, greatly appreciated. The bike kits are as follows; ESCI/ERTL Dragon 1/9th BMW R75 Motorcycle w/Feldgendarme #1801, and the famous Italeri kit; US WWII Motorcycle 19th Harley #7401.

I'd been working the Harley for some time last winter and had to stop for the summer and also got a late start this winter. But, the BMW is coming along and I'm working out the technical aspects of wiring, etc. I've already glazed the engine slightly in the pics below and will working my way up from there.

The resin figures are from the Verlinden Series Super Scale 200mm Panzergrenadier, along with Warrior Models' 1/9th US Infantry BAR Gunner, US Ranger, pictured earlier. The rider for the BMW is fast becoming a parts bin item, because I don't like it and vinyl ain't my cup of tea. I'd have to buy another head to really make it a good figure and it really doesn't need to be in the scenario for me to create the scene I'm after anyway. That being the case I can concentrate on the two figures I have that I like and get the details dialed in appropriately.

Thx for watchin and comment as you see fit. Cheers, Ski.

_DSC1268b-vi.jpg

_DSC1269b-vi.jpg

_DSC1275b-vi.jpg

_DSC1273b-vi.jpg

chriss67 said:
Ski.....anymore updates?

Hiya Chris, I'm pulling wire and adding clips/clamps round the air box and engine gear. I'll have pics this weekend. Friday after I get off in the AM it will be a full 8hr bunker session, Youza Baby! Thx for watchin Bro.

Cheers, Ski.

Well, my all-day Friday bunker time was a wash, almost completely, but I did get some things done. So, please comment as you see fit and hollar if I've missed anything.

Cheers, Ski.

_DSC1281b_zps43b64615.jpg

I'm using sheet copper and thin copper wire for the air box, clips, etc. Some of the ref photos are not very good, but I felt this was a necessary step to get the most detail from what I did find.

_DSC1283b_zpsc7d3c6c7.jpg

This gig looks rather crude but works well, left over from the Harley build and keeps my hands free.

_DSC1287b_zpsff4e1c1c.jpg

As you can see by the cleaned area behind the main engine, this is where the air box will sit. It's way too tight to wait till later as suggested by the instructions. I can only imagine the difficulty installing it after the throttle cable and wires are installed. I'm finding all kinds of ommissions in these instructions.

_DSC1285b_zpsc1f400d5.jpg

This right view still needs plenty of engine work too, but it too has been mostly ignored by the instructions provided. This is not a kit for the beginner, IMHO. You'd be tempted to launch this sucker into the Abyss, lol!

Thx for watchin, Ski.

Hey Steve,
Looking great. That cycle should start up when your done. Love the work on the figures as well. Will be nice to see and compare how you use oil. Will follow this thread.
Steve

Thx Stevo,

I'll probably do a SBS on the figure painting too since most guys here are acrylic addicts, no offense Guys. Seems us oilers are a dying breed, lol. At any rate, it's part of the process I intend to cover.

I should mention that I've seen a recent 300mm build using acrylics by an "incredible" artist, who has years of experience and talent, and it appears to me the method required in working this medium is way too labor intensive, especially in that scale. I'm not seeing the realistic flesh tones I had expected and it sounded like a frustrating process in such huge scales. Not so say the work did not look incredible by any means, it did, but I feel oils work and blend so much more easily that I have never venture to cross that line and try to learn another method. But hey, use what works for you and throw out the rest, I always say.

Cheers, Ski.

Ski......Don't think ya missed a thing,that detailing looks 10/10!.Details in this scale are by no means easily pulled off,as every nut&bolt and part is seen,but the pay-off is some awesome work like what youv'e got going on here!

Latest posts

Back