1967 Shelby Cobra csx #3243

Belugawrx

The 2020 Cannonball build is on, this years topic, vehicles in movies and on tv. (We have a year to build)
I chose the Cobra from the original Gumball Rally movie
YK9gAAo.jpg
Can't lose ,...right..? I mean, it won in the movie,...right...?
Anyway there are about 30 of us competing in the race so every builder for themselves...
This kit turns out to be a bit of a dog, contact points nonexistent, old moulds, lack of detail,..blah blah blah glad I have a year..
IAIlpn8.jpg
Started by sanding down the parting lines and ejector marks,.and lightening up the huge wind screen frame...
xnBG2rU.jpg
Decided to open up the doors and trunk,..and cut in the two hood scoops, specific to this car...
goG50UJ.jpg
When I was grinding out the back of the gills, of course, I went through the exhaust port so ended up making new gills
xg5Mfto.jpg
And this is where it sits now
hKajbX6.jpg

Testing colours to match the movie car, I think I found a close match with a $1.50 bottle of craft smart acrylic metallic...
More to come
Cheers

Ya the 1:24th kit..(added to title)
Bit of a dog's breakfast as far as fit and contact points,..just kinda floats around on the frame,
and the interior bucket has about 1/2" of play...

It's a Revell of Germany from 2006 ..probably a re-release from god knows when...
I like to dryfit over and over again..and this thing is fighting me every time ..
ended up putting in a solid contact on the under side of the rear deck.
Also the back edge of the interior tub is too high, so it keeps the body from sitting down over the front tires...
....many days, many men to fix....
o_O

Thanks U ..yep that's the fun part .. just a little filing and it sits much better now
vsT5LSc.jpg

The kit rad was a little plain looking without much detail so I installed a double fan up front..
aZ1coOu.jpg
I used HO scale chain link fence as rad screen
s8F1qyM.jpg

Got started on the trunk (boot) detail
HJEGM9c.jpg

8XXx11X.jpg

Will look something like...
1585761900494.png

Made the dash a little more realistic looking...I hope
CdqWrRh.jpg

9kixoh4.jpg

vO0qWps.jpg

...I hope everyone is staying clean and safe... and sane
Cheers

Cool Beans ! Nice mods

" It's a Revell of Germany from 2006 ..probably a re-release from god knows when... "
Looks like 1988 -- not too ancient

Is that all, not too old, I guess...I wonder how all of the contact points and alignment surfaces got omitted from this one...the entire engine, interior tub, and rad need to be loosely in place before fitting the body. Then the engine, tub, and rad need to be repositioned to fit inside the shell ,..not complaining, as you said
'Real model building'

I'm going by that " copyright 1988 .... made in china " in that one photo -- that's from that kit , yeah ?

Mine too Bruce, and thanks Q..
Got the chassis rolling and the body parts into paint...
r6Ww9ur.jpg

ynXdNGr.jpg

HRtJjUd.jpg

zsRxy20.jpg

The paint is craftsmart flat metallic Sapphire.. I thinned it 1 to 1 with Aztec universal acrylic thinner..
Now it will get some coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear.
Stay safe all ..
Cheers

I'm going by that " copyright 1988 .... made in china " in that one photo -- that's from that kit , yeah ?
Yeah from that kit, ..but not sure who they bought the rights from, or which original kit it was based on... might be monogram, or amt..or maybe Lindberg had a role in it..??

....needs a new hasp,... I know...

Latest posts

Back