1932 Ford Dio

rocketrider

What started out as a custom chop top, ended up as a custom rust bucket, due to the fact that the frame and the fenders were molded together in this kit and it wouldn't have worked for what I was trying to originally achieve.

The rusted out body was ground out from the inside with a Dremel until it was paper thin, and then stabbed through with a #11 X-Acto blade to achieve the thin rusted metal look.

The rust is real, taken from a sos pad that was dropped into a cup of water and left to sit for a couple of weeks. I then carefully removed the "rust dust" and applied it over the rust/black paint while it was still wet.

The fence was scratch built from scrap wood and balsa, the ground is made from drywall compound (pre-mixed in the small plastic jug), and the the weeds are paint brush bristles which were placed in the ground by drilling small holes and putting them in small bunches at a time. The dirt is real as well.
32-coupe-dio.jpg

Wow, looking good! I really love that fence and the rustwork on the car. Well done!

Welcome rocketrider! Thanks for registering. That is very cool. Fantastic rust. That would make a great tip for the show.

Such a simple piece, but it came out great. Fantastic tip with the sos pad. I will have to remember that if I ever need something rusty....

Latest posts

Back