1/7200 Allegiance-class Heavy Star Destroyer

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
I was itching to get some real progress done on some of the commission work on my bench so I started with this one. It’s the Allegiance-class Heavy Star Destroyer first seen in the background in the Dark Empire comic series. (See here and here). My client asked for it in 12″ scale, but since this build will utilize parts I pre-fabricated for a different project, it will end up being closer to 13″ or 14″. The math works out to be somewhere around 1/7200. I’ll also be designing a blueprint-style laser cut plaque for the base. Detail wise, the majority of the plans are derived from FractalSponge’s rendering (see here). Some details, such as the domes, conning tower, turbo-laser turrets and ion cannons will be 3D printed.

56.jpg

Onto the parts! I printed off the orthographic images in scale with the parts and began trimming and assembling. Many of the super-structure and raised surface panels are similar to standard ISDs so minimal re-cutting/shaping was necessary to fit the build. I started numbering them in order to keep track of where they will be placed when the time comes.

allegiance_imag4619.jpg

allegiance_imag4621.jpg

allegiance_imag4625.jpg

Drawing the outlines of the main shapes on the hull pieces helps keep the final form in mind. And for anyone reading this who hasn’t seen any of my previous Imperial cruiser work, the pieces I use are laser-etched and cut and have a very high level of panel line detail.

allegiance_imag4624.jpg

allegiance_imag4622.jpg

One of the more fundamental parts of an Imperial style build is making sure that the hull lines are nice, sharp and straight. This is accomplished by utilizing steel and brass rods. In this case, I used four per hull plane in order to maintain rigidity. During this stage of the process I also added rare-earth magnets which will serve as mounting points for the eventual support rods. Also, in preparation for the next stage (and equally fundamental step for maintaining a clean form) was constructing a jig to make sure the triangular angles of the hull are consistent.

allegiance_imag4645.jpg

allegiance_imag4646.jpg

allegiance_imag4647.jpg

Here are the hulls joined at the proper angles. Now she’s starting to look like a Star Destroyer! In the past I’ve added additional supports as crossbeams, or bulkheads. This time I decided to put strengthening strips across the center line to create a horizontal ribbing. So far it feels more secure than the older method, mostly because there’s more surface area connecting the two hull halves. Last little step in this update was cutting out the insets on the side trench lips. They are arranged differently than the pattern that was laser-etched, but weren’t difficult to cut out. Much of the bare-detail areas where the original cut outs are will be covered up by edge detailing soon.

allegiance_imag4648.jpg

allegiance_imag4649.jpg

allegiance_imag4651.jpg

allegiance_imag4654.jpg

allegiance_imag4657.jpg

Eh up buddy,that's a sweet start to this build,I'm very interested
in this one..keep up the top work mym8...peza

Definitely some good work there.
Almost makes me want to take a stab at a 1/4105 Venator to go with my Battlestars

I seemed to remember something like that, Nick.
1/4222 would be close enough for my needs. And to scare the heck out of the Old Republic Navy :p

This is going to be a very interesting project to track. Such a detailed ship and all going to be scratch built. 3D printing included counts as scratch built in my book. :D

Given I have my own star destroyer inspired design lurking in my projects I look forward to your progress here.

A wee bit more work done last night. Mostly super-structure but this is where it really starts to take shape anyway :) Also started adding the smaller/shorter raised hull sections and added the reactor dome.

allegiance_img_0014.jpg

allegiance_img_0015.jpg

allegiance_img_0016.jpg

allegiance_img_0017.jpg

allegiance_img_0018.jpg

allegiance_img_0019.jpg

allegiance_img_0020.jpg

allegiance_img_0021.jpg

allegiance_img_0022.jpg

allegiance_img_0023.jpg

allegiance_img_0024.jpg

allegiance_img_0025.jpg

allegiance_img_0026.jpg

allegiance_img_0027.jpg

allegiance_img_0028.jpg

allegiance_img_0029.jpg

allegiance_img_0030.jpg

allegiance_img_0031.jpg

allegiance_img_0032.jpg

allegiance_img_0033.jpg

allegiance_img_0034.jpg

Wow! Did you hand scribe all those lines on the panels :eek: or is there pre-scribed styrene available? ;D

Ah no, I used a laser cutter to engrave all the lines and cut out the main shapes.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/25222183[/vimeo]

That is looking very nice. Halves joined together always seems like a major milestone worth celebrating.

What a cool way to do the panel lines. Is the laser engraver yours?

Latest posts

Back