1/72 Squadron Encore (Academy?) Models A-37B

smokeriderdon

On this one, I will just go straight to the finished product. LOL This was on the table with the 15E and I would fiddle with it while waiting for paint to dry etc.

The kit. This kit actually has two kits in it and has decal options for like 4 planes. It has resin cock pit, seats, bombs and rocket launchers as extras. Several folks on Face Book felt that this was likely the Academy kit. I have no reason to argue that.

dragonfly_zpspfdlpocd.jpg

Soooo, I do NOT normally do fighter/attack planes in 1/72. Too small. And the 37 is a small plane to begin with. But I wanted to do a 37, and as this was the only immediate game in town and not overly expensive, I took a chance. Pffffttttt, I should have known better. The kit was not bad per se. I just do NOT like working that small. It will be a while before I subject myself to the other plane in the kit.

As for the resin. I only used the cock pit and seats. The bombs in the kit were perfectly fine, and the resin ones need to have the prop cut off the tail of the kit bombs and attached. OK, yeah right! Like I am going to cut off that tiny little part and glue it on the resin bomb without losing at least one and guarantying I go cross eyed. Pffftttt. And the rocket pods seemed too small and you only have the option of them having the covers on the ends. Not what I wanted.

All that aside, it turned out not too bad.

20151213_183450_zpsc0xjov8h.jpg

20151213_183554_zpsrphqdwqm.jpg

20151213_183541_zps0tke54si.jpg

20151213_183615_zpsdcfoezva.jpg

And to illustrate how much smaller this thing is to my usual 1/48 builds, here it is next to my 1/48 A-10.

20151213_183837_zpsoqyc7fdf.jpg

Now, to finish up the crappy AC-47 and start on the 104...

Very nice job. ;D
Due to space restrictions all my models max out at 1:72 (or smaller). So on some of the models I have - yep small is SMALL. ;)

How about some pictures of that A-10!! That thing looks awesome!!!!! :)

Ron

Ron, certainly! That was my first build back to the hobby after 20+ years away from building. My first time ever using after market and/or resin parts. Not my best. Has some warts. But I thought it came out OK considering how it wrestled with me.

Not bad at all. I like you are coming back to the hobby after 30+ years.....although I am not sure you would consider it "coming back" unless you call gluing together a 55 chevy using an entire tube of testers glue and 1 can of blue paint "modeling". :)

Enjoying it so far. :)

Haha...well I am not sure people would have called it flirtation of the hobby, more like a bloody massacre of the hobby. ;D ;D ;D :eek:

Latest posts

Back