1/72 Red 5 X-Wing - Completed

fettered

Okay. If it's not frowned upon, I am going to take advantage of the open rules to try to finish up an assembled and base-coated FineMolds 1/72 X-Wing. I'd love to tackle one of my other SW models fresh, but my schedule just can't be trusted!

I had to get creative on the instrument panel, as I messed up the decal.
IMG_20140929_232104_487_zps1a6a5ace.jpg

Wings and a couple of other parts are not assembled, just dry fit.
IMG_20140930_075143_756_zpsee934240.jpg

Re: 1/72 Red 5 X-Wing

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that there is pre-shading under the base color. Also, I've kept the base intentionally lighter than I want the final product to be, as I want to use oils to filter and weather it a bit.

I have to agree with the others, nice work on that cockpit.

A minor update to the cockpit. I totally lost the small targeting computer, so I scratched one up and added the coiled cable. I also started masking for red paint. I'm hoping to paint as much as possible, adding decals only for those things I need to.

IMG_20141021_213246_101_zpsbcade6a8.jpg

Yeah, gotta start light, anticipate the dirt. Cool. Painting markings is the way to go. I messed up all my stripes but still prefer to the decals. Great practice it was.

Scott Girvan said:
Yeah, gotta start light, anticipate the dirt. Cool. Painting markings is the way to go. I messed up all my stripes but still prefer to the decals. Great practice it was.
Any particular advice for that? I'm planning to trim lengths of Tamiya masking tape to size and basically build a mask for each wing on my mat, then transfer them to the wings. I expect this to take far longer than I expect!

That's what I did too. The spacing was the trickiest part. Only advice is measure twice...and to avoid paint bleeding spray really, really light coats...burnish your tape too.

I laid the masking out directly on the model so I didn't have to transfer it.

I used the decals and as a reference for measuring the masking for the wing markings. Also, use the panel lines and the decal instructions to help with place masking placement. The first one is the trickiest of course, but take your time and remember that it get's easier on subsequent wings. If you remove it carefully enough, you should be able to reuse it.

This is what my masking looked like before paint.

That photo is actually VERY helpful, spj. I paused ANH at a couple of points to get a good look and think I'll move the whole deal out towards the wing tips just a bit based on what I saw. There is a raised panel that it looks like the paint butts up against.
Thanks!

fettered said:
That photo is actually VERY helpful, spj. I paused ANH at a couple of points to get a good look and think I'll move the whole deal out towards the wing tips just a bit based on what I saw. There is a raised panel that it looks like the paint butts up against.
Thanks!
No problem, mate, glad I could be of some help!

If it is any help, this is what it looked like after I removed the tape.

Found a little time this weekend to tackle some masking.
imagejpg2_zpsc268b030.jpg

I'm very pleased with the way this 1:1 mix turned out.
imagejpg1_zps11c190b1.jpg

Latest posts

Back