1/72 Modelcollect "Fist of War" UA72139

LOL I honestly don't know. These Modelcollect kits are weird.

The quality of the kit was so-so, like the directions are not great and a lot of the parts have no registration tabs or marks, so you're kind of on your own when it comes to putting it together. It was a quick build though. I jazzed it up where I could with some greeblies, otherwise areas where you think there should be detail have none. I added weld seams and Meng bolt heads to all of the leg armor...
But they cost as much as a Bandai or Tamiya kit. I paid something like $43 for this wee thing.

Now that this is finished and my 1/20 Nissan Hardbody is nearly done, I'm going back to work on a Klingon BoP I started in 2012, that's "almost" finished as well.

43 bucks ?! Zow
Yeah , I'd expect more detail for that coin .

LOL , that gun really needs to be raised up and incorporate a platform for the crew that rotates with the gun .
You could only barely handle that ammo with the gun facing forward -- forget any other orientation . o_O

Last edited:
Hey Wolf, great work and thank you for posting this! These what-if vehicles are right up my alley...in fact, I have not one but THREE of these 1/72 Fist of War kits in my stash...got them for €12 a piece during Black Friday.

Could you share how you made the diorama? I've never made one!

Hey Wolf, great work and thank you for posting this! These what-if vehicles are right up my alley...in fact, I have not one but THREE of these 1/72 Fist of War kits in my stash...got them for €12 a piece during Black Friday.

Could you share how you made the diorama? I've never made one!
Sure thing, thanks. You got a great deal on them!

The base is a painting panel I got from art store, I just painted it black. I sculpted the "ground" from Das terracotta air-hardening clay. I like using the Das clay because it's fairly inexpensive, easy and kind of clean to use.... I added some rocks and other debris while it was still pliable. And pressed in the vehicle to make footprints... Then painted it a dark brownish color when it was fully hardened. Then I mixed white glue 50/50 with water and painted it on the surface so that the grass stick to it. It's pretty simple. I wanted to add more detail to the base, but part of my mission for this was to not spend any additional money and use what I had on hand. Also I wanted the base to accent the vehicle, not overpower it, hence it being a simple landscape...

You could make your groundwork from sculpted foam, Celluclay, plaster almost anything. Plaster can be messy though.

Added HO scale static grass/trees, etc. I've done a lot of dios and built a model railroad one time long ago. After it was all finished, I airbrushed the dark brown paint around the edges and footprints to make shadows....

When I built architectural models, we used spray adhesive for ground scenery. It's kind of hard to control though. You can also water down white glue enough to use in a spray bottle.

I thought I had taken pics of adding the additional detail but I can't seem to find them. The leg armor skirts as they are in the kit are pretty naked looking.

Last edited:
Sure thing, thanks. You got a great deal on them!

The base is a painting panel I got from art store, I just painted it black. I sculpted the "ground" from Das terracotta air-hardening clay. I like using the Das clay because it's fairly inexpensive, easy and kind of clean to use.... I added some rocks and other debris while it was still pliable. And pressed in the vehicle to make footprints... Then painted it a dark brownish color when it was fully hardened. Then I mixed white glue 50/50 with water and painted it on the surface so that the grass stick to it. It's pretty simple. I wanted to add more detail to the base, but part of my mission for this was to not spend any additional money and use what I had on hand. Also I wanted the base to accent the vehicle, not overpower it, hence it being a simple landscape...

You could make your groundwork from sculpted foam, Celluclay, plaster almost anything. Plaster can be messy though.

Added HO scale static grass/trees, etc. I've done a lot of dios and built a model railroad one time long ago. After it was all finished, I airbrushed the dark brown paint around the edges and footprints to make shadows....

When I built architectural models, we used spray adhesive for ground scenery. It's kind of hard to control though. You can also water down white glue enough to use in a spray bottle.

I thought I had taken pics of adding the additional detail but I can't seem to find them. The leg armor skirts as they are in the kit are pretty naked looking.
Thank you very much indeed for the detailed tutorial! I shall try to imitate you!

Nice job on this! Lately there have been a lot of projects bringing back memories of my HO train board construction days. This is another one. I also used the watered down white glue technique but used fine screened sawdust dyed various shades of green for the grass dusting.

Thanks! I still have all of my HO scale stuff in a tote in the storage room, would love to use it someday. Model railroading has gotten pretty expensive.

Good job. I have the flak gun that I pick up from time to time. I had been working on it at the in-laws' place, but we haven't been there in a year due to this WuFlu nonsense.

I'm friends with the president of Rocket Models. We worked together at Aoshima. He'd made relations with Modelcollect and after he quit (a few months after I quit), he started Rocket Models. These kits use existing Modelcollect molds of German armor and have all-new tooled parts for the walking mecha bottom.

The lack of locator pins has thrown me off a few times myself. Almost like a kit from the '70s or something. Plus the instructions can be a bit confusing at times. It's still a fun kit, and I am holding out for the flying saucer.

This "Fist of War" series is its own unique series, like Ma.K and such.

Latest posts

Back