1/72 F-117A Nighthawk

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
It looks like I’m not going to be able to finish up the Dominator ISD conversion by the end of the month. I’m just way too behind on even just the hull scribing. 2 weeks is just not enough time to do the build justice so it will work into a shelf-queen project.

In lieu of that build, and owing to my slightly A-D-D habits of building (and sometimes I just need a “break” from more intense builds) I dug out my older Hasegawa 1/72 F-117A Nighthawk. This was chosen because it really is a stupid easy build. Not Snap-Tite stupid, but easy nonetheless. I had also collected Eduard’s PE set and mask…which turns out is where the bulk of the work is being put in.

117_img_3025.jpg

The first big mod to the kit was assembling the landing gear doors in closed position. For the most part they fit snugly but a little bit of shaving and trimming was necessary to get them flush with the belly surface.

117_img_3027.jpg

117_img_3039.jpg

There was a little bit of super glue spillage so I will be going back over those areas with some micro-grain sandpaper.

117_img_3028.jpg

Cockpit wise, the whole thing is built up with the PE set, tub and all.

117_img_3029.jpg

117_img_3030.jpg

A little bit of shaving was required to the kit part’s tub width and the instrument panel hood needed to be removed entirely.
117_img_3040.jpg

117_img_3046.jpg

117_img_3047.jpg

The only other bit of body work is the filling and sanding of the gaps at the main wing seams.

117_img_3032.jpg

117_img_3034.jpg

I’ll probably finish up the pilot and PE bits tonight and do the sanding. Hopefully painting tomorrow, then future and decals. Super quick process it would seem.

Dude, You are a building machine, really! :eek: :eek:
When do You find the time not only to make all those O.S. products, but also to allow yourself some sleep and food, if You ever do? ;D
Seriously, this is progressing fast and really nice - going to be a superb plane when finished, great work!

I don't sleep. Modeling is too much fun too sleep. :p

Seriously though, I get an itch and focus. Things are also timed just right at the moment to allow for some extended build times. I work at a Jewish and Tues-Thu this week are Shavuot so I basically have 3 paid holidays.

I finished this one up yesterday actually (final coat of Future on the windows before bed). I'll be taking some studio pics tomorrow. You'd think a flat black and smooth surface would be EASY....but damn if it shows every little flaw (even with micro sanding/polishing.

Not only did I finish this one, I damn near finished the Airfix Fulcrum, got a bunch of painting done on my Action 6 (finishing painting today) and did up a small fleet of 1/4222 support craft....stay tuned in the other threads. :p

So yup. Finished her up. Just need studio shots, which I'll take tomorrow.

pilot
117_img_3051.jpg

PE
117_img_3055.jpg

117_img_3056.jpg

primer
117_img_3058.jpg

base coat
117_img_3074.jpg

morning light
117_img_3131.jpg

Looks good

one thing i might point out is that the F-117 is coated with flat paint. A quick flat coat would do the trick

ha this actually is coated pretty heavily with a flat coat...i think i put just a tad too much contrast and clarity on the photo editing and in combination with the lighting setup.... it's very flat in person.

Just gorgeous. Excellent work on her.
And I fully understand what can happen when you get on a roll

Latest posts

Back