1/48th scale RX-78-2

I showed that video to Bibi last night and she said that the Gundam was real and I bet it could really scare away the monsters...

;D ;D ;D

I bet that my niece would say the same. But I'll have to wait until she could watch anything like Gundam, Star Wars or even Star Trek. Hopefully I have Pixar movies to share with her (she's crazy about Cars, Wall-E, Toy Story), and lately she had seen the Tinker Bell movie with me (a premiere since I'm an Animation Journalist). But that's it. For all the other hobbies I've got interest in, she has to wait 3 or 4 years (she's 4).
Bibi would like the Tinker Bell movie I think. :)

Gundam is defenitly an adult show disguise as a child program don't you think ?

Oh yeah, Gundam dealt with a lot of serious adult themes.
The major one being that War is NOT a solution!
One of my favorites is "War in the Pocket".
It's one I like to show to people who are not familiar with Gundam. It has great mechs., and awesome combat scenes, and a very good heartfelt message to it.
If you haven't seen it.....Go ahead, and watch it now...... I'll wait.
;)

Bibi know who Darth Vader is, Gamera, and Godzilla. She is learning about the Transformers now and about Gundams since I am building up this kit. I haven't let her see the anime just yet. You are correct it is a bit adult.

Too adult for a 5 year old. She doesn't like to watch violence at all. Right now her favorites are Rio and Gnomeo and Juliete. Cars and Wall-e were last years thing.

I think I am bringing her up right. Most of these shows feature strong female roles and not wimpy crying women.

I would have loved to see that real scale RX in person. The videos do give you a sense of the size of the thing.

Oh and here is the second part:

Comment on "Rx-78-2 Part 2: Sprue review 2"

What a sweet looking kit John!! That thing is HUGE!!! Still working that size of the gun out in my head here!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The tree forest will work for you, but you need to forget about the skewers and aligator clips....more like 1/2" dowel stock and jumper cables!! ;D Have you thought of a place this will reside when your done? ::)

I bet Bibi loved BRAVE :)
We are fortunate to have great animation movies good for children and adults too. That's what I love with Pixar, and other studios like Blue Sky (Ice Age, Horton, Robot, Rio...). It's a complete different story with Dreamworks with a very adult humor, and references to movies and comics that young children wouldn't comprehend. But ibi and you must had the greatest time with Megamind and Monsters VS Aliens right ? :)

your RX is big, the result will be great, even though it's no Perfect Grade kit (believe it or not there is a lot more kit parts, an inner frame, a looooot of articulations for hands for example). A friend of mine choose to paint his Zakus with metallic colors, he has done something slightly different with his RX-78-2. The fact is he managed to do some lighting, and was very happy with it. He's Italian, and he's been influenced by TV programms like Giant Robots (Mazinger, Getter Robot, Voltus V, etc.) and Gundam (the show was running in Italy even though the Japanese didn't know about it :) ).

The RX-78-2 is a big symbol, a very important mecha in anime history. I'm sure that you'll give us a beautiful piece, and that the many parts will assemble in no time. :)

TRM said:
What a sweet looking kit John!! That thing is HUGE!!! Still working that size of the gun out in my head here!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The tree forest will work for you, but you need to forget about the skewers and aligator clips....more like 1/2" dowel stock and jumper cables!! ;D Have you thought of a place this will reside when your done? ::)

I will have to talk to the wife about where to place this when done. It is going to be a large one for sure. The happy thought is that it has a small footprint and is merely tall.

Painting this thing up will be a challenge. But I am sure I can handle it just fine. One thing, a large kit needs a large amount of paint.

Youli: Bibi didn't like Brave. Too dark for her. I don't have a perfect grade kit, and don't know if I will ever spend the cash on one. They are a bit pricey.

I suppose you could call Macco and find out the rates?? ;D The size lends itself to larger detail, which is nice!! Can' wait to see this come together!! ;)

Yep, Brave is a bit dark... :)

The Perfect Grade kits cost a lot, that's for sure, but they are (were ?) state of the art concernint Gunpla. Now you have number of models in 1/60 from Bandai, sometimes old and ugly (especially THE Gundam :) ).

I watch your 2nd part of your video.
You talked about sanding the pins to build and deconstruct the model easily. There's a methode that consist in cuting the pin with a bevel cut. That's the way japanese do it in Dengeki Hobby magazine and Hobby Japan.
A friend of mine made a tutorial about that. That's French but the pictures might be handy... :D
http://www.hobbyforever.fr/Realisation-d-une-maquette-Gundam-de-A-a-Z-HGUC-Gundam-MkII-TTT-ver-1ere-partie-la-preparation-des-pieces_a113_2.html

694545-849197.jpg

Thanks Youli! I will give that a try. I already put together a few parts that I shouldn't have. No worries I carefully pulled them apart.

I think it may be easier and time saving to do so... :D

I am sooooo buying this kit. I hope they come out with more UC stuff in this scale and not just AGE crap. I always oogle at PGs but the price is ridiculous whereas this is entirely reasonable. I dont care if the inner frame isnt as detailed, I never show inner frames anyway. I love the fact that it could be coupled with other 1/48 scale items....such as figures (I always paint and photograph the 1/100 figures with my MGs to give a sense of size).

Yep... You can even make a comparison with the 1/48 Valkyrie from Hasegawa. Or anything in scale that you like...

Speaking of Hasegawa, they make a nice set of 1/48 hanger equipment. I will probably pick up a set for this thing just for size comparison.

I found it for 8 euros in Paris. Won't probably help you, but it was Fujimi. A nice set of figures, done for the aircraft crewmen.

It's this one
128447659-1-48-flight-deck-crew-fujimi.jpg

Though i would have prefered the Fire crew, the uniform and shape made it easier to convert this figures in space-men or so...
http://plamoya.com/en/fujimi-1per72-modern-us-navy-flight-deck-crew-and-fire-engine-p-38640.html

Nice update bud! Really enjoyed your vid. I've recently been really getting into Kaiju movies, mostly Godzilla stuff, they are just chuck full of awesome scale models and they all get destroyed!! love it. anyway, keep up the great work looking forward to more.

Liked the video. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on model building. Ditto on alot of what you said!!!

Latest posts

Back