1/48th scale F-106x Delta Super Dart!

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
ok so here is the plan, for my birthday my grandpa got me a kit, for real cheep, the kit is a 1/48th scale Revell Delta Dart... this will be my first jet, i usually only do piston fighters, and this will also be my first kit i have made some modificatons too!

the Delta Dart was designed as a single engine interceptor fighter, one of the cool things about it is it has weapons bays! and was used from the late 60s till the 80s...

what am i going to do with this kit, supe it up, the jet is going to recieve canards, and a different engine... replacing the J-75 with a J-58! whats the difference? the J-58 is a constant bleed turbojet, it is the engine that was placed in the SR-71! the faster the plane goes, the more efficient the engine becomes! the canards will increase the aircrafts agility, the engine will increase the aircrafts over all speed! this engine was also equipped in the F8-U3 Super crusader, the F8U3 reached mach 2.6 before parts start to come off!

here is the kit

well instruction manual anyhow.
DSCF2156.jpg

i put the seat together
DSCF2157.jpg

the instrument panel came with decals, i said screw it and paint it myself, i think i made a good choice as the decals for that where a little cheesy...
DSCF2161.jpg

cockpit assembled without instrument panel, looks kind of cool.
DSCF2162.jpg

cockpit placed inside upper part of the fusolage.
DSCF2163.jpg

the lower section of the fusolage has been redied for part installation.
DSCF2164.jpg'

see the jet engine
DSCF2166.jpg

besides the sealer, this is what i have gotten done so far... i will probably do more tomarrow
DSCF2167.jpg

some of the parts are awful fits... and require tuns of sealer, this thing has been cressened the "sealer jet" beacuse i had to put so much sealer on it, the paint scheme will be camouflage, with a few markings.

Hey Ace ,good to see ya building buddy :) Nice start too ,your cockpit looks very good ,look forward to this one coming together ;)

Chris.

thankyou, the camouflage paint scheme has been applied, the landing gears are now in place and strong enough to support the weight of the model... however in order to apply the second coat of paint, and finish up the last few details, i need paint thinner to clean my brushes. i may not have enough resources to finish early enough.

despite the excessive amounts of required sealer, this build is coming along quite smoothly, with a exception that i forgot to add a few parts, it looks very nice, and i am sure will look even better once it is finished. i think i am doing well for my first jet! i almost lit the model, but once again did not have the resorces... this model could easily be lit, the inside of the engine is hollow, i could put a LED inside the front of the engine, and place a battery pack inside of the weapons bays and "spot glue" it in place, so when the battery wears out it can easily be removed and spot glued back in place.

Quaralane said:
Looking really good there, Ace

thanks bud, i wish i could show you her now, her first coat of pant has been applied, and most of her parts, she is looking good so far!

Nice work on the Darts front office Ace. Your builds just keep getting better.

Chiefpettyofficer said:
That cockpit looks really good! Im looking forward to this custom-built aircraft

she is fine, all she needs is the canopies detailed and attached, and another coat of paint!

Man that's one big model. Very nice start so far Ace. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest.

scratchmod

scratchmod said:
Man that's one big model. Very nice start so far Ace. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest.

scratchmod

thats what i said when i saw it, its a good sized peace... when i get back home i might get a can of paint thinner, and finish the last few coats of paint and finish her up, but i don't know, this build may be sitting for a while.

here is a little update

one of the canards broke of the F-106x i will have to fix it later...

Desaster again!

i came home, and found the F-106x damaged, the nose is broken off, both canards are broken off, and one of the landing gears are snapped! the weight of the aircraft is pritty heavy, i don't know if the gear if repaired will be able to support the weight!

i need suggestions for landing gear repair!

Bad news Ace.

Are you in a position to show us a couple of pictures of the damage. It might help some of the more knowledgeable chaps afford you some assistance.

Tom

Landing Gear Repairs 101

make sure you have all the parts...

Drill the Inner Core of the Landing gear... insert a suitable Rod ! Brass or Alu or Steel !

match the seam and add C.A. glue... the stress will now be taken by the Metal rod you have inserted
into the GEAR Shaft !

its referred as PINNING !

Latest posts

Back