1/48 Tamiya VW aka Herbie the War Bug

Jeeves

Well...I wanted to get into this one and can't be buying kits right now as I am still two weeks out from teaching again and three weeks out from another paycheck...so-looking in my humble stash...I found this:

-4ADA-4463-B567-C7CD820FC735-2618-0000045EBCFD784B.jpg

Don't let it's size fool you...once I've added the appropriate armament (maybe from the Warhammer spares), it'll be mean enough ;)

lol that is a Tiny bug i was surprised how small if actually is

Thanks guys...I'll probably delay this a month to get the other projects on my bench finished...even my advanced ADD would be challenged by 5 consecutive builds ;). Plus it'll give me time to think up ideas on this one...

Well...got some work done on this today. If I were to build this one as is, I'd have it built and painted in a day! But-- I plan on taking my time and having some fun! Put a primer coat using a can of Rustoleum paint...normally I'd expect this stuff to be all grainy-- but this stuff went down smooth...the closeups show some texture-- but that is the hairspray.

I am trying a couple different weathering techniques here...some salt, some hairspray, etc...trying to decide how best to recreate a little rust texture...any ideas?? What would I add to the Mig Rust powder I have to give it a little texture? Trying to decide what layer I want the dab of salt technique I'll be adding to show through...sigh!

So- far-- here is some primer and a bit of the free Badger Rust paint I got from the Spring contest...thinned out a couple fenders and the passenger side door to add some dents...
003%7E25.jpg
004%7E23.jpg
005%7E23.jpg
008%7E13.jpg

Growing up-- my dad had this bright blue VW Bug...I remember the interior being white or tan...going to try to recreate that all here...I know I have some pics from when I was a kid somewhere...but for now-- phase one of the hubcap weathering...
007%7E17.jpg

And finally-- the seats-- just glued a layer of foil over these holes I added, and I'll poke holes up from behind and add some stuffing and maybe a spring or two...
006%7E19.jpg

That's it so far...gotta find those pictures!!!

Hi ya Mike!! Nice to see this underway!! I got a PM coming over to you as I don't want to clog up your thread...yet! ;)

Thanks T....

I followed up on things a bit and here is where we are at so far-- the clear coat is drying...
001%7E27.jpg
002%7E25.jpg
003%7E26.jpg

I know it hasn't cured yet-- but it is a little orange-peel-like right now, but I actually think this will tie in well with the beat up look I am going for...kind of like how a sunny summer can really beat on a paint job...

And work on the other parts continues...here are the seats after the foil was added, painted, poked, and in a few cases, sprung:
004%7E24.jpg
005%7E24.jpg

And the wheels...no where near done-- but I like the light rust...
006%7E20.jpg

Those seats are awesome, love the spring sticking out. Tin foil to get that effect? Very cool,I'll have to remember that!

Yes...I bored an opening in the seat from behind and then glued the foil over it and poked a knife through from behind...added some cotton fiber from a Q-tip (ear bud?) and wrapped a guitar string around a paper clip to get the spring...still need to dirty things up some...

Looking good Mike!!! Right, the texture from the paint of the first coat will actually help later on. Seats are a treat there buddy!! Keep it going!! ;)

You have some cool detailing going on there!

I need to get back on the buggy I started fro this GB as well, now that I finally got the wife's immigration papers all sent in, I will hopefully be able to scratch together some free time to get back into this :)

After a base coat of rust-- I added some hairspray and salt...then primer...and here is where that led me--
001%7E28.jpg
002%7E26.jpg
003%7E27.jpg
And then after finding some pics of me as a wee lad-- I found an appropriate color-- this was the color of my dad's Bug when I was growing up...
008%7E15.jpg
009%7E10.jpg
010%7E9.jpg
011%7E10.jpg
And finally a shot of the loadout options...maybe I'll mount all three ;)
012%7E6.jpg

Very cool Mike!! Love the new color!!! She will look sweet all armored up!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back