1/48 Tamiya P-51D

redraider56

I just started this for a group build on another forum so I'll post progress here too.

This is Tamiya's 1/48 P-51D and I am adding a True Details cockpit, Quickboost exhausts, and Aeromaster decals.

I started fitting the TD cockpit yesterday and this is what I got done

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

Very nice work, Red! I'm looking forward to seeing your painting on the interior.

I'm building this kit's stepson, the ICM P-51B, and so I enjoy seeing how yours is coming along.

DUDE!!!!!

the cockpit detail on this Mustang is superb!! is this straight from the kit or after market?

13aceofspades13 said:
DUDE!!!!!

the cockpit detail on this Mustang is superb!! is this straight from the kit or after market?

Thanks, the cockpit is from True Details

Just a couple more progress shots before Christmas....I got the IP done and all the painting on the seat done before I add a wash and clear flat coat to it

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

redraider56 said:
13aceofspades13 said:
DUDE!!!!!

Thanks, the cockpit is from True Details

Just a couple more progress shots before Christmas....I got the IP done and all the painting on the seat done before I add a wash and clear flat coat to it

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

i should have done the Tamiya kit instead of the Revell kit when i made the Ace Of Spades P-51... the details on the Tamiya mustang, once again, as usual, much better than the Revell.

Well thus far most all of what I've shown is from the True Details cockpit set, but I would agree that the Tamiya Mustang is better. The things I like over the Revell Mustang are 1.) the surface detail and 2.) the engineering like the top of the cowling being a separate piece, and having the exhausts attach from the outside. The Revell kit still builds into a very nice model, but my personal preference is the Tamiya kit.

redraider56 said:
Well thus far most all of what I've shown is from the True Details cockpit set, but I would agree that the Tamiya Mustang is better. The things I like over the Revell Mustang are 1.) the surface detail and 2.) the engineering like the top of the cowling being a separate piece, and having the exhausts attach from the outside. The Revell kit still builds into a very nice model, but my personal preference is the Tamiya kit.

yea thats one annoying thing about the Revell kit you have to attach the exhaust before you assemble it beacuse they attach from the inside, this can also be a issue if somehow you have to handle it and you squeeze the exhaust to hard and they bust off inside, then you have to tare it apart just to replace the exhaust or put it back in place. this also means you have to work around the Exhaust to do the paint detail, which can make for a very difficult job, if my Ace Of Spades P-51 was a Tamiya it may have been better off! it probably be a TON more detailed, especially if i knew to get them after market parts! but the cockpit to the Ace Of Spades P-51 still looks pritty good! and yes, the Revell still turns out a very good model once all assembled!

Great detailing! I like your wiring harnesses. The seat belts have a look of canvas webbing, too, that was an excellent choice and well executed.

Thanks! I got the painting/weathering done on the floor, fuel tank, radio, seat, IP but don't have the sidewalls done yet. I was originally gonna wait until I had all the cockpit pieces for my Tamiya Razorback cleaned up and ready to go and then just spray them and the P-51 sidewalls at the same time, but then I realized that the cockpits weren't the same green, so I still dont have the sidewalls done. I plan on doing them tomorrow and will then play with some different shades of green and should be able to start a thread for my Razorback too.

I'm getting close to paint! I kinda messed up the spinner when I was filling and sanding it, and as a result flattened out a couple sides by not paying attention, so I had to order a new spinner from Ultracast. I'm also finishing up filling and sanding the panel lines on the wings. A note on this....In the factory most of the panel lines on the wings (not the gun access panels though) were puttied and sanded smooth and then the whole wing was painting in silver lacquer or other sources say aluminum dope. This was to maintain the laminar airflow over the wing. From what I've read this was done in factory starting even before the A model. In the field this was either left as is or the putty was stripped and the wing stripped down to bare metal. This is an aspect often overlooked by modelers but I decided it would be cool to do and it would also break up the NMF finish.

Soooo thats where I am right now ::)

Finally got some paint on the Stang yesterday but just the yellow on the nose and rudder. I found a couple flaws so I gotta spray a couple more light coats to even things out. I'm also close to finishing sanding the wings and I may or may not apply the aluminum dope and black theater stripes tomorrow. Regardless I should have some pics up tomorrow....I havnt had any for awhile now

A couple prgress pics of the painting. The wings are Testors metallic silver to simulate the silver lacquer that was factory applied to the wings and the flaps are foiled with Bare-Metal foil. The yellow is model master insignia yellow

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

Latest posts

Back