1/48 Revell EA-6A Prowler

Been decaling a bit...these Fightertown decals are real nice...but there are so many, I am having trouble deciphering which ones are for which plane! Might go through the kit ones as well to get the right placement of the stencils. I also soaked the canopies in Windex to get the tinted Future riddled with bubbles out...was a real shame too as I had found the perfect color tint match...but the bubbles ruined it! I have some tips to try out on the reattempt...
012.jpg
010%7E0.jpg

From the original photo, the flaps and leading edges were painted red to mimic the dive brakes from a WWII bird...I couldn't find any AM stuff and the kit doesn't feature them, so I decided to paint the air brake interiors and the access stairs red instead...may not be 100% accurate, but it does throw in some nice color!

Thanks guys!

Yeah-- I really don't usually do anything post-WWII...but when I saw that scheme, I knew I had to try it!

All decals have been added...need to work a few of them in more- and then all the fiddly bits, but there is light at the end of the tunnel ;)
013.jpg
014.jpg

Looks so close to done Jeeves, what's left?

The centennial scheme looks great BTW.

Thanks JMac...

Just have to add the small parts. I have tried dipping the canopies into tinted Future twice now and both times, I've ended up with bubbles marring the surface. About to strip it again and just go au natural but it is really bumming me out right now :(

I see that jet fairly regularly around here, and I don't seem to recall the flaps or slats being red.

Now, when those surfaces are EXTENDED, the exposed parts (which are normally covered up when the wing is clean) are red, just like the speed brake interior, but that's common for Prowlers and not unique to the CoNA scheme.

You've done a really nice job capturing the look! ;)

This is really inspiring! I have the same kit, but I'll use VMA-Q2 markings. I've built the EA-6B before and had to glue a nut (instead of ball bearings or shot) in the nose cone to keep the nose wheel grounded.

Thanks everyone! Just waiting on the canopies now...I figured out my Future was older and think that is what was causing the bubbling...dipping it in new tinted Future has prevented bubbles...but I still need it to be a bit more tinted...

Thanks!

Calling this one done...getting the canopy tinted caused me fits...but this is a reasonable approximation...as I've said, jets aren't usually my thing, but this one was screaming to be done...
004%7E8.jpg
003%7E11.jpg
002%7E9.jpg

hey hey!!!!!! That is looking sharp!!!
Congrats on finishing, and I'm with Norm, that tint turned out supurb.

Thanks guys-- this was definitely a change from the norm (no pun intended Norm ;)) and fun to get out of my comfort zone...almost want to try some of the other jets in the decal set ;)

Latest posts

Back