1/48 Quonset Hut diorama...

Jeeves

Well-- this one had been running around in my head for a good long while now since I received the resin set when it was released by Masterpiece Models. Apparently the kit and it's expansion set I was hoping to grab aren't even available anymore. Here are the parts before I started...I had thoughts of building it so the two halves could be shown apart-- but with the surrounding base, not sure how that'll work-- still to be figured out...
001~53.jpg
Nonetheless-- some of the pieces that'll be part of the scene-- a crew Jeep that will sit outside the hut full of crew--
003~66.jpg
001~68.jpg
And from the ICM Japanese crew set-- a bicycle to lean against the building or nearby...
006~54.jpg

Progress from last week... if nothing else, it gives me something to escape and do when the house gets crazy-- it's getting to be busy PTA and 4H activity time so the wife and daughter always have people over- so I disappear being the unsocial one I am ;) Here's where we are at for the present--

The back end of the deal...obviously this will be sitting somewhat in the terrain....when I get there...still need to shorten the chimney and scratch a cap to it...
001~77.jpg

And the business end of this wall-- going to have a couple crewmen admiring the scenery...a guy will be tending the stove...and either a bunk or two- or a card table game...not sure yet....the stovepipe looks a bit crooked but it might be due to the base being a bit warped....I plan on clamping and gluing this down to a thicker piece, so hopefully that'll work...
002~74.jpg

Some to the side as well...sorry for the blur...
004~70.jpg

And lastly-- taking a page from the Bob Letterman book of diorama-ing-- my "assembly line" of cast and crew ;)
005~70.jpg

And today's progress...more shots of the stove and nearby bucket of coal in the first of 4 sections of the hut...I fixed the stovepipe a bit-- still not perfect but I imagine few were ;)
001~78.jpg
002~75.jpg

This gent will be standing next to the stove pouring coffee...
003~78.jpg
And since there is a lack of coffee products in the scale short of pricey railroad O scale items-- it's time to pull from the Book of Joe ;) Used some sprue nubs and wire- and instant pot:
004~71.jpg
And cup:
005~71.jpg
Gotta love that Dremel Stylus and small drill bits ;)

Grabbed a radio face from an armor kit and glued it to a piece of styrene...
006~63.jpg

And finally a little something for the backs of the leather jackets on my crewmen...
007~57.jpg

Well...more progress...
First up a shot of the bomber jacket art...had to paint a white cloud on the back so the decal would show up...got some touching up on the trouser bottoms I see ;)
001~79.jpg
It's getting downright cozy in here...got a airman in the back adding to the collection...a couple soldiers in a card game, and a guy near the stove who just received a Dear John letter (mail to be added yet...)
002~76.jpg
003~79.jpg

And my first attempt at a bunk using measurements from my son's...and we ended up being a bit too big- so it's now a table ;)
004~72.jpg

Next one was a bit better-- even found some styrene rod for the legs...
005~72.jpg

But then I found I still need to improve on it after finding this pic...
IMG_0897.jpg

First stage-
006~64.jpg
Gotta tie it in with the wire I bent from a paper clip for the top part of the frame-- that's on for tomorrow...I won't have the wire frame that we see in the pic-- but will add a Aves sculpted mattress to each of the 6 so you wouldn't motice anyways ;)

Thanks Q!

I redid the Binks again this morning as they looked a bit too spacious for military living 😳. Now they are a bit narrower and look the part!

These look a bit better now...and I've added the Aves Sculpt mattresses/covers....they look better in 3D ;) I used the knife to bring the lower parts of the covers down a bit...since this was taken I also added a little something to each bunk to differentiate them a bit-- I'll wait until they dry before I take more pics...
IMG_0907.jpg

Just about done with the first section-- added the second section to this part of the base...need to add two bunks-- but the Aves Sculpt isn't drying as quickly as I'd hoped so I am waiting on those still...
007~59.jpg

In the meantime, while I had the oils out to weather another build, I figured I'd start the exterior weathering here-- first some streaking-- I used a whole rainbow of oils and then washed them down with some Turpenoid....
005~74.jpg
006~66.jpg
004~74.jpg
003~81.jpg

Chimney cap is a work in progress ;)

Worked on a sign going outside the hut...used up some old decals from a Liberator kit...thought it might be an interesting name for the row of huts that would be present....
005~77.jpg
And the back...gotta sneak Cap in there where I can ;)
006~69.jpg

Latest posts

Back