1/48 Hobby Boss F4U-4 Corsair (Early)

Bladerunner

My mom says I'm cool!
Hey everyone,

I am doing this model as part of a group build that started March 1. As yet I have not had a chance to get started but I intend on changing that this weekend.

I am going with the HB kit but I am adding some metal gear, some PE to the cockpit, resin tires and some resin Tiny Tim Rockets. I would love to also use the True Details cowl and prop - hopefully they come in soon!

[attachment deleted by admin]

So many posts, this one slipped past me. Sorry about that Bladerunner, I concur with Glorfindel, a good choice!

Well - it doesn't seem like I have done a whole lot but this is a busy build, a lot of parts and yes, I "had" to add a little here and there.

Cockpit floor and consoles - I added some PE handles
50b944eb-9b76-4240-8b47-802209e3840d_zps53e0b498.jpg

Sidewall - the framing is from the kit but for some reason the kit did not include a thottle quadrant or a flap setter - I added those from the Eduard Set
945eb037-58ec-4715-87f5-7fec733286b8_zpsf59022c9.jpg
As an aside - the "turtle deck" in this kit comes as a choice for the early or late version (there is a little 'bump' at the top of the late version. Something that I might just keep around for my next hasegawa build as those don't seem to have the necessary bumps.

Engine - wow, pretty much the hands down most detailed 1/48 kit engine I have come across - the only thing I added was the ignition wiring and paint. Most of it fit like a glove but there were a few adjustments needed. I drilled out the ignition wiring collar to accept all the wires and I drilled out the exhausts. They are not quite "rusty" yet, I will get on that later.
07ee4987-a9b8-491a-b09c-15813da105b6_zps5a0e67af.jpg
b35727b7-905c-4b5b-8a1d-7542b327a126_zpsa53a353d.jpg
You won't see the detail at the back as once installed, it is fully contained in the fuselage... so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Guns! Just drybrushing and a wash - neat little feature. The ammo won't "lie down" flat - but once in the wing, it should be ok (I have an idea to cheat here!)
e3f06edf-0e87-474f-ae4e-988f424656f1_zpscb969bee.jpg

I am still working to finish the pit - I added some beautiful FineMolds belts to the PE chair and they really stand out. Once its fixed and washed, I will take a pic of the completed pit!

The pit is together and ready for installation. The finemolds belts are very nice. I imagine they would be even better if glued to styrene but these ones are on the PE seat. I replaced the instrument panel with the old Eduard one for the Hase F4U-4.... its not their best IP but a little nicer than having to cut out all those instrument decals!

DSC_0032_zps47c91e9e.jpg
DSC_0033_zps279f7033.jpg
DSC_0034_zpsa1bf49fe.jpg
DSC_0035_zps10d7ae1a.jpg

One bummer is that I spent a considerable amount of time painting and shading the firewall..... and not one bit of it will be visible in the end!

Oh well.

I am now working on the gear.

Excellent progress here.
Really liking what you've done with the cockpit and engine

Love the detail work you put into this baby... I don't care if you can't see the firewall, it looks phenominal bro! Awesome awesome job!

Congrats on the magnificent work! A very lovely bird. I really like the work on the cockpit as well as the engine, very detailed. Don't feel like a waste of time even though it is not visible, the purpose of the hobby is to enjoy every little thing, every little detail.

Luis

Thanks guys! I enjoyed building it. I now have a -1, -1A, -4 Early, -4 Late, -5, -5NL in the collection. I really need a -1D in there somewhere!!

Latest posts

Back