1/48 B-17G El Lobo II

Cold War USAF guy

I am working on a 1/48 B-17G by Monogram (1975 kit) and have come upon a problem with the propellers. I put one together according to instructions and it spins like a top. Great! The other three, however, do not. Does anyone have a suggestion of what can be done to free them up to spin more freely?

No, not motorized. It is a static display. It is kit 5600, where the plane is facing to the left with smoke behind it, like it has just finished with its bomb run. In step 21 of the instructions, it shows how part 35 is inserted through the back of the engine and then the propeller is pressed on to it after it is glued on to the ... well, you can tell by the illustrative drawing what's going on. I think the problem is that that part of part 35 that fits into the back of the engine is too snug and is producing too much friction for the fit. I am just at a loss as to how to remove that friction without really messing it up.

Can you post a photo of the instruction step ?
You can upload the photo directly to the site , just click on the picture icon between the chain and smiley icons and click on the " click here "

I have the exact model. Keith's suggestion could solve your prop problem. Maybe a squirt of dry graphite?

Here is my (slow) progress. Lol

Attachments

• 20220424_201416.jpg
    20220424_201416.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220424_202029.jpg
    20220424_202029.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220424_201529.jpg
    20220424_201529.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 6
Ha ha , that question was for USAF guy ;)
I forgot about his troubleshoot for that and wondered if he had success .

But I hope you post some pix when you get back going on yours !

I tried using my hand drill set with a bit which is a little wider than the opening in the back and drilled just enough out to lessen the friction and they all are fine.
Those micro bits are awesome. Before I ordered the eduard .50 cal barrels I used my thinnest bit to drill each vent hole in the barrels. The ball turret is the only one with the factory guns with the holes drilled.
Waaay too much work for that plus some of the barrels were too weak.

Glad you got them working like you wanted.

Thanks GEG64. Now on to the overhead windows in the cockpit. Got the one on the right in and glued with Elmer's Glue. Now the one on the left side seems to be a little too small to stay in. I have another kit to can from, so will see how the other one fits.

Latest posts

Back