1/48 B-17G Chowhound

I am glad you are enjoying the build. I should have another update soon.

Joe

First, Thank you all for such kind comments and encouraging comments. They mean a lot to me.

An update:

Most likely my last for a week or so. Excitement abounds in the bunker. We have color. The basic base colors are now done and I can get started on the detail painting. And there is a lot of detail painting to be done.

The bomb racks (Alclad Polished Aluminum)

Color-1_zpsjvrwbqyt.jpg

The O2 bottles (Alclad Polished Aluminum and Testors Light Grey)
Color-5_zpslrt9uhcj.jpg

The Fire Extinguishers (Alclad Polished Aluminum, Testors Light Brown, Testors Flat Black)
Color-4_zpsauh6fosa.jpg

And then the wood detail work (In this order, Testors Light Brown, Testors Light Tan, Yellow Ochre Oil Paint, Raw Sienna Oil Paint, Burnt Umber Oil Paint, and Raw Umber Oil Paint)
Color-3_zpsfz5w8qzq.jpg

Color-2_zpsdmdh3occ.jpg

This also signals a change in my plan of attack. I had hoped to get to the painting stage by the end of the weekend. I am slightly ahead of that. Now my goal is to be done with the detail painting and beginning to install the interior structures by Tuesday.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

The detail painting is almost done. Just a few more little things to go but honestly I believe that the time is near to begin to piece this thing together.

The details.

The bulkheads fore to aft.

Detail-Painting-9_zps3k1qi12b.jpg

Detail-Painting-8_zps7xfs206m.jpg

Detail-Painting-7_zpsbcbo2g3q.jpg

Detail-Painting-6_zpskfskrsxv.jpg

Detail-Painting-5_zpsljnxukwx.jpg

Detail-Painting-4_zpsg7ucptaf.jpg

And the Bomb Bay and Catwalk/Interior Racks.
Detail-Painting-2_zpsshqrarac.jpg

Detail-Painting-3_zpsi81cqpyj.jpg

Detail-Painting-1_zpsrpjtlnrr.jpg

There are still multiple things to take care of. A lot of little details when I start to piece this together. Still have to tackle the top turret and the interior of the belly turret. But I believe I am ready for the next step.

Joe

Love me some B-17, large scale even better, and this one promises to go the distance. Keep up the good work!

Wish I had the courage to do the 1:32....

My friends I come before you with yet another boring, detail oriented, rehash the same crap type of update.

As of this update, all of the interior sections are ready for installation into the fuselage with the exception of oxygen bottles in the cockpit, the hoses and ropes for the cat walk in the bomb bay, and the guns. This does not include the top or belly turret. It also signals the point where all of the interior components including the little bits and pieces that attach to the interior of the fuselage are complete, with the exception of the ropes for the cat walk in the bomb bay, and the guns.

Pictures.

Interior-10_zpsegx9npvt.jpg

Interior-9_zpsvwue8zzq.jpg

Interior-8_zpsmncf0zo1.jpg

Interior-7_zpstr8uy9xy.jpg

Interior-6_zpsyes1cgbl.jpg

Interior-5_zpsw2foqhb8.jpg

Interior-4_zpsg00stvek.jpg

Interior-3_zpsj87upus2.jpg

Interior-2_zpssvb2uzcn.jpg

Interior-1_zpsh2lwx3cg.jpg

To avoid the issues with handling this too much and breaking off these parts now, the interior will be installed into the fuse once the hoses in the bomb bay are in place. At that point I can attach the smaller parts to the interior of the fuselage and move on.

Now also a decision. A few know this but here it is. This build was intended to be a detailed build and nothing more. As of this update that has changed a bit. In chatting with the editor of the same magazine the 109 is in, he showed interest in this one as well. I am going to attempt to submit this one as well. To that end once I get to the decal stage this build will go dark and I will reveal the finished build 1) If the article does not make the magazine, or 2) It does and the magazine issue has been made public. This is out of respect for the magazine.

So with that now out in the open, next up is to install the interior. I have applied some paint to the fuselage exterior (no pictures) and the wings and stabilizers are ready for filling and sanding (no pictures).

Thank you for sticking around this long winded update. Hope I did not bore you too much.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are greatly encouraged.

Joe

Very detailed work. It will be very nice when it's finished.

Ever get a chance to crawl around in the Collings B-17?

Many thanks.

To be honest I have never seen one in real life.

Joe

Well a big day at the bench.

The Fuselage is closed up. Still need to fill and sand some but it is closed. I am going to let it dry overnight and then I can proceed tomorrow. i still need to add the nose glass and a few other bits of clear.

The interior as we had seen it.

Interior-Finished-4_zpsg7gb7p9p.jpg

Interior-Finished-1_zpsw7uxitst.jpg

Interior-Finished-2_zpsnux3ypkv.jpg

And now as she sits.

Fuse-Closed-1_zpsm8ckrpr7.jpg

Fuse-Closed-2_zpslhmneorr.jpg

Not a bad fit by any means but still has a seam bead and a couple of trouble spots. Overall not to bad at all.

After dealing with the seam it will be on to the wings and getting them attached.

Joe

Such amazing work! Nice choice of markings too.

Do you plan on painting the edges of the cutaway portions?

Many thanks.

I am unsure of painting the edges. When it gets to that point I am usually looking toward the next build and forget it.

Joe

Latest posts

Back