1/48 B-17 Diorama WIP

Ok, so as of now I have entered this sucker into the "All Open" category for the SMA spring contest. If I just get the plane done then that's all I will enter , but if I get the whole stinkin' diorama done then that's what I'll enter. I needed a good motivator to get er done anyways

I went home last weekend and got a bit of work on the plane (sorry no pics yet), mainly just finishing stripping the paint and cleaning it up for the next attempt of a paint job.

A question I have though, is do you think there is such thing as having too many figures? Right now I plan on having 16, but recently came across another set that I might scoop up once it becomes available again, and that would put the count at 20. I'm hoping that they add to the scene, but you never know. Any thoughts? The more the merrier?

I'm sure there could have been a big crew / mob around such a big aircraft. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. IMO the key is to keep it interesting and give the characters jobs/stories in the layout - not just a guy pointing off into the distance.

Yea, interesting is what I'm shooting for. I once read an article where a guy said that if you can see everything in the diorama within 5 minutes, then you havn't made it interesting enough. I would try to explain what every figure will be doing but it's hard hard to do without pictures

Very, very, very interesting project. Looking forward to see how it evolves. But it looks quite promising :)

Scott Girvan said:
I'm sure there could have been a big crew / mob around such a big aircraft. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. IMO the key is to keep it interesting and give the characters jobs/stories in the layout - not just a guy pointing off into the distance.

ooh yea!

Just letting people know Im still plugging away at this thing. I tried to get it done for the contest but other stuff got in the way and I didnt get anything done on it. I'm back into the swing of things and have resumed work on the project.....I even bought more figures last week (yea like I need anymore). Anywho the goal is to be done by the end of summer and the way things have going I think Ill make it

Don't worry, I'm sure we all sympathize with a project that never seems to move forward :D It goes with the territory, just like accumulating a stash ;)

Figures finally arrived today. I'll be using 3 from this ICM kit, a fighter pilot (who will be a base officer) and 2 mechanics. This brings my final figure count to 17. I've been painting these while I work on finishing my P-47 and P-51. After those are done all focus will be on the Fort

Looking forward to it!

I bought ICM's copy of Tamiya's P-51B, just for the extra fret of figures that came in the box, they're very well done.

Got my eye now on a ProModeler B-17G kit, too, just for the figures. Sure, I'll build the aircraft, too, but the last time I built the B-17 was long before the ProModeler concept was even thought of.

Yes, the ICM figures are some of the better ones I've bought

If you dont already have a Pro Modeler Fort, its gonna be pretty hard to find. Once in a while they show up on ebay, but they dont sell for cheap. The figures included in it were in a Revell Germany boxing of the B-24D a few years ago, but that kit is also OOP

Latest posts

Back