1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-4

sharkman

Floaters!
So, with my basement a mess and my current modeling bench relocated, I'm a bit out of sorts with my current group builds. A few weeks ago I got some spare moments to work I decided to start on the cockpit of this kit. The detail really is amazing! Too bad AM folded before they could make new kits!

I have to say I'm very impressed with the engineering and thought that went into making this kit. It took a bit of fiddling to get everything in the cockpit (and a bit of trimming of a couple parts like the rear bulkhead) but wow, what a nice fit!

Did manage to get a bit more done on this kit recently. The basement is still a mess with a very long and drawn out renovation project. My current group builds are packed away at the moment while the chaos ensues, and I had to relocate the bench once again, so I'll have to make due with some updates to this kit. I should be able to get back to the group builds in the fall.

One problem I ran into, the small view window or drop tube for the observer does not line up with the hole in the bottom of the wing. You need to expand this hole for the part to fit right (at least on mine). It will probably require some fill later.

sbd3_zps9ce6f096.jpg

The wings got attached and this went smoothly, except the first one I did not follow the directions precisely and was left with a rather large gap in the wing root.

sbd5_zpsd64a248a.jpg

If you follow the directions and glue it correctly, you won't get this (like I did on the second one).

sbd4_zpsd14bbbad.jpg

front cowl is just taped on

sbd6_zps1f92d21e.jpg

This is all I have for now..... Summers for me are crazy!!!

Very nice build!

Will it be in a diorama or static display?

Latest posts

Back