1/4222 Errant Venture

Thanks for the support guys!! I promised myself I wouldn't submit another entry UNLESS it would be a contender. :D

Anyway I got a LOT done in the past few days. But in that time I’ve also learned I have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go…

1) I finished applying all the scribe guide decals to all parts
eve_img_6588.jpg

2) Scribed the frig out of the lower hull. Found a good method to use on the rest of the pieces.
eve_img_6589.jpg

eve_img_6591.jpg

eve_img_6596.jpg

3) Started to add detailing with styrene and vinyl to lower hull based in hybrid fashion drawing from Devastator and Avenger studio models. It may just be me...but even the .005" thick vinyl still looks too thick...impressions?
eve_img_6624.jpg

eve_img_6627.jpg

eve_img_6628.jpg

eve_img_6629.jpg

eve_img_6634.jpg

eve_img_6640.jpg

eve_img_6641.jpg

eve_img_6646.jpg

eve_img_6647.jpg

4) Shaved lower hull trench lips just a little thinner in preparation for trench work and trimmed some pieces to make room for larger trench hangar bays
eve_img_6636.jpg

eve_img_6635.jpg

5) Cut out auxiliary cargo loading dock opening in lower hull and sketched out Gravity Well Projector location
eve_img_6649.jpg

6) Light-sealed the inside of the bottom hull
eve_img_6618.jpg

7) Also got some more Deflector Domes. Now I have an extra to send out to get cast so I can piece together that darn PE+ upgrade kit set I keep thinking about...
eve_img_6632.jpg

And some good old direct sunlight shots...
eve_img_6601.jpg

eve_img_6606.jpg

eve_img_6609.jpg

eve_img_6610.jpg

eve_img_6612.jpg

eve_img_6616.jpg

This is incredible on so many levels....
Yet you haven't really even gotten started

Thanks man. And no kidding! I'm already feeling a little cross-eyed. :-\

Anyway, got some more done over the past few days. Today especially I was able to sit outside on the patio and work without distraction/interruption.

1. Finished scribing the main upper hull and all the super structure layer “lids”.
evf_img_6656.jpg

evf_img_6657.jpg

evf_img_6658.jpg

2. Added side lip strips on the top.
evf_img_6670.jpg

3. Cleaned up ALL the edges on the super structure pieces. Also shortened them a few mm. Something about a shorter “height” on the kit makes it a little more sleek and bad-ass. This took the longest time out of anything because this kit was already built by someone who used some disgusting glue (see all those discolored yellow lines?). I also cut off ALL the details on each piece for rebuilding...
evf_img_6671.jpg

evf_img_6672.jpg

4. Cut out super structure areas to fit Arvey spine into place. Rather than shave parts of the resin piece down I carved out a gap wide enough for the neck/spine to slip through and put a couple ‘stops’ to hold it in place. There is still enough room inside to finish out the trash chute.
evf_img_6680.jpg

evf_img_6681.jpg

evf_img_6684.jpg

5. Mapped out a space for the installation of the Dark Saber-type super weapon.
evf_img_6685.jpg

6. Started to add some of the dorsal nose details and carved out the tip to make room for the detailing.
evf_img_6687.jpg

evf_img_6690.jpg

7. Lastly I used the kit trenches to make some ‘height gauges’ to see how tall the trenches are. Glad I did because if the kit parts are used the trenches would be waaaaay too tall. I’ll have to make them up from scratched styrene strips. The forward trench hangar bays will be nice and big, too.
evf_img_6691.jpg

evf_img_6692.jpg

evf_img_6696.jpg

In the down times I’m starting to get a good lighting scheme in mind so I can order the LEDs. I’ll be using a mix of warm and cool white LEDs in a few sizes as well as a flashing red or two…those will be for antenna tips and docking port beacons. I'm also thinking of trying the side-illuminated clear pieces for the magnetic shield effect on some of the hangar bays. Oh, just wait until you see what I have in store for those...

Thanks guys! Your support fuels me!! Got about 5 hours in over the past few days. I keep going through these steps reminding myself each step of the way that building for a one-off is very different than building for reproduction. Its not necessarily that it's cutting corners, but that once you don't have to worry about undercuts, parts placement and order of assembly is waaaay easier. And I can always go back in with greeblies to fix up spots. 8)

1. Proper height side trench pieces in place.
evg_img_6723.jpg

evg_img_6724.jpg

2. Additional flap detailing along engine block lips.
evg_img_6725.jpg

evg_img_6727.jpg

3. Cleaned out and mounted bridge to spine.
evg_img_6750.jpg

4. Cut a hole for the Darksaber-style weapon.
evg_img_6744.jpg

5. Modified engine plate and attached custom nozzles. Lotta gaps to fill.
evg_img_6753.jpg

evg_img_6755.jpg

evg_img_6763.jpg

evg_img_6764.jpg

6. Attached Gravitic Amplitude Modulator.
evg_img_6757.jpg

7. Started gathering electronics and such.
evg_img_6752.jpg

My 1/4222 fleet is starting to shape up, too!!
evg_img_6743.jpg

Side trenches look great, really looking forward to see how this turns out mate.

Coming along very nicely indeed Nick. And that fleet looks awesome assembled like that.

Once finished, this is going to be an awesome addition to your great 1/4222 fleet.
And superb idea with the engines btw - they've received a very cool, fresh look.

Still going on my EV!

1. Built out smuggler/trade modules. The frame was first put into place and then all the random parts were assembled in a more or less ad hoc fashion…while still trying to maintain the look of the comic image (see later pic). These shots aren’t final because I still need to run some FO and LEDs into the arrays…and there is now a fair bit of PE attached in key places.
evh_img_6769.jpg

evh_img_6785.jpg

evh_img_6787.jpg

evh_img_6792.jpg

evh_img_6794.jpg

evh_img_6797.jpg

2. Added aux cargo bay roof. It’s just a 1-piece with some openings on the sides so I should be able to pump an LED into it for light.
evh_img_6770.jpg

3. Started engine lighting pattern and extra details. I used the old kit engine nozzles, silvered them up and popped the LEDs into place. They give a nice pattern behind the inside nozzles…but I might still diffuse the light just a little bit and some more detail to the nozzles to clean them up.
evh_img_6774.jpg

evh_img_6775.jpg

evh_img_6781.jpg

evh_img_6799.jpg

4. Added extra turret bays above main turret placements with some PE parts. There will be little barrels sticking out of there eventually.
evh_img_6802.jpg

5. Got my stand for it, too! This is a really nice and professional mount from Panavise. It also came with hex bolts so those big hand-turning keys won’t get in the way. I think I’ve come across a new standard for larger-scale builds….definitely….
evh_img_6789.jpg

6. Starting to look like the picture!
evh_img_6795.jpg

7. And a small example of the laser etching for other Star Destroyer-type kit patterns…
evh_img_6780.jpg

Wow! That is really coming together.
I am unfamiliar with the comic, but it all looks good to me. ;D

Yup. Lotta work going into this. If I do at minimum an hour a day it will get done. :D Here are a few more updates before the big Friday push. That will be the day where a LOT will hopefully get done. All the LEDs, etc have arrived so I can start to place them this weekend, too. Yay!!

1. Finished greeblie-izing the trenches, including the back little lips to the sides of the engine plate. Then primed.
evi_img_6815.jpg

evi_img_6814.jpg

evi_img_6813.jpg

evi_img_6812.jpg

2. Mounted the battery plug. I’ll do external battery in this one just for easy replacement. The mount and plug will sit nicely next to one another.
evi_img_6817.jpg

3. Primed the pods. Notice anything familiar??
evi_img_6818.jpg

evi_img_6819.jpg

evi_img_6820.jpg

4. Ran fiber amongst the pods. There has to be something going on in there, right?
evi_img_6835.jpg

5. Started running the trench fibers…ugh. This is going to take a while. I’m using .25mm fiber and it looks to be perfect for the scale. This also means that there can be more fibers for a better effect.
evi_img_6836.jpg

evi_img_6837.jpg

evi_img_6838.jpg

6. Put auxiliary turrets in place. They still need some detail around them.
evi_img_6824.jpg

evi_img_6826.jpg

7. Started building the Darksaber weapon.
evi_img_6828.jpg

evi_img_6830.jpg

8. Started adding detail to the bridge: vinyl on the antenna, the new domes, the start of an extra array and an extra deflector dome.
evi_img_6839.jpg

evi_img_6840.jpg

evi_img_6841.jpg

All though I class myself as a star wars nut, I'm not familiar with this design (only got into the expanded universe a few years ago). But I really like where this is going keep up the good work mate!

Latest posts

Back