1/4 vinyl Boba Fett

there is a lot of job to do on that kit!

I have a Stormtrooper and the problems are the same with the legs and some bubbles in the plastic! :mad:

It will need a lot of work to be goos, but the size is so good! 8)

JohnSimmons said:
Wow some real effort going into this guy!!

Thanks so much John! Doing my best

ModelMakerMike said:
:eek:
WOW... He's a big kit with some BIG problems, BUT you're knocking them down to size!
Excellent work so far! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the compliment! I'll never get over the size of this thing.

Chris S said:
Ooooh thats a whopper :eek: :eek: :eek: ,Lot of work ,but will be nice to see finished :)

You said it man, a whopper indeed! Cant wait to see it finished or at least fully built.

Quaralane said:
A lot of work going into making that kit look good.
Should pay off, though

Thanks Q!

Grendels said:
You are really putting the effort into it. Should pay off in the end!

Thanks man, I'm sure by the end of the contest I'll have my own pet Boba Fett

Les said:
I still can't believe how big this is! Looks like you are getting him into shape. How is your bondo working out on the surface pits and such?

Thanks man! The Bondo works great and sticks to the vinyl really well, you have to make sure you've eliminated any flex in the parts or it will crack and chip up, and I always seal the bondo in with a primer coat or else it will scratch really easily.

LrdSatyr8 said:
I didn't realize how big this thing is until you held up the pack with your hand... this sucker is gonna be HUGE! I don't envy all the bondo work you're gonna need to fill and smooth out the body... looks like a nightmare! One of he reasons I never really got into vynal or resin kits. Just so much repair work you gotta do to it before you even get around to building and painting. But I'm sure you're enjoying the hell out this... Can't wait to see more progress on Boba... you're off to a fantastic start so far! Will be watching!

Thanks man! He'll be about 18-19 inches or so when all said and done. There is quite a lot of sanding and filling and re-sculpting to do on this kit, and you're right, I'm enjoying every second of it 8) I got into vinyl and resin models over the last year or so, I like to switch it up and build one every once and a while, its a nice change of pace and a new set a challenges to deal with.

Tanker52 said:
Impressive Kit!!! This is going to be a nice build. Looking forward to this completed. Boba Fett is my favorite character of Star Wars.

Thank you sir! Cant say he's my favorite but definitely up there. After finishing this model he might end up being my favorite character!

Dark Kyp said:
there is a lot of job to do on that kit!

I have a Stormtrooper and the problems are the same with the legs and some bubbles in the plastic! :mad:

It will need a lot of work to be goos, but the size is so good! 8)

Yeah I love the giant size of it. Makes me want to get more large scale kits

Ok, not a great deal to show but I've basically just been sanding and filling and trying to figure out how to re-build the jet-pack.

And the jet-pack starts with a toilet paper tube that I cut down and rolled to the size I needed.
028_zps96fef08f.jpg

Then wrapped it with clear styreen sheet
001-73_zpsbcc8bda5.jpg

Then epoxied on the original vinyl part
002-74_zpsb6fe961b.jpg

grafted it all together with milliput
005-59_zps11fd6b63.jpg

Ground the milliput down with the dremel and then used bondo to smooth and refine into the shape I was looking for
015-8_zps999fb38e.jpg

After a coat a primer I'm almost there
016-6_zps8c16778b.jpg

Got it in place, everything looks pretty rough still, but now that I've got my center foundation it should move along a little quicker.
021-2_zpsb3130b4b.jpg

Just been working over the rest of the parts with putty and sand paper trying to fix the surface. I've found the bondo thins down and cleans up really well with lacquer thinner, so for the more complex curves of the model I can brush the putty in nice and smooth
020-4_zps9f8b91d8.jpg

Shot a coat of primer on the torso just to get a look at where im at and it still need work but im pleased with the progress so far
hfh_zpsb955bc07.jpg

Thats it for now. Thanks so much again for the comments and checking out my build!

Nice work! I recently used a cardboard tube the same way, but I did not coat it in styrene. Only Bondo.

Nice discovery with Lacquer thinner and Bondo! That will be quite useful.

Talk about diamond in the rough! You're polishing up this vinyl kit nicely! Cant wait to see paint !

You're really going to do something out of this bad soft vinyl copy. I'm impressed. Work with soft vinyl is hard for the nerves of most modelers, especially when dealing with bad duplicates from Thailand.
Kudos !

Thanks so much guys for all the encouragement! Unfortunately there is just no way I'm going to be able to finish this guy to my standards for the contest :mad: It quickly turned into a six month project with all the re-sculpting and surfacing. I'll still post progress untill this beast is done though. Work and life is just not allowing me the time I need to work on this and my other contest entry. So I'll be shelfing this one for now so I can just focus on my first entry (the Camel). I'd be devastated if I didn't finish both of them on time.

That makes perfect sense. Better finish one than none. .. and you don't want to end up with two half-a**ed trial either. I'll still keep a look-out for the progress on this one.

At least when he's finished you can call him a custom Boba fett.
Great stuff. 8)

Latest posts

Back