1:350 Klingon BOP

jellis11

So, its been quite a while since I have posted anything, but here goes.....
My current W.I.P. AMT's 1:350 Klingon Bird of Prey.

Mostly OOB, except for the cannons, which I scratch built from brass and styrene tubing.

I started out painting from the callouts in the instructions, but soon realized that its a very "vanilla" paint scheme and after a bit of inspiration from the many others that have been done, I began to "paint outside of the box".

I still plan on adding one more shade of green or grey to a few feathers on the topside in addition to other small details such as lightening the inside of each panel to add a more aged look, rust spots, washes, etc. Still a long way to the finish line....

Also, per the instructions, I painted (one side) the cannons MM gunmetal, which I think I hate....I may change to either a shade of grey or a shade of the base green color (pale green)....Thoughts?

Thanks for looking, questions and comments (good or bad) are welcome!

IMG_1207_zps7hci6at8.jpg
IMG_1206_zpsvjzz7hyi.jpg
IMG_1205_zps6nwrvn5v.jpg
IMG_1204_zps4yws0qou.jpg
IMG_1208_zpsbjyuqhvk.jpg

Looking good.
The darker gun barrel seems to work best, although some copper dry brushing might help it.
As far as the feathers an other paint goes, make it yours. Do as you will with it

Ive been wanting one these for ages.

This looks fantastic, what color green did you use?

Im hoping when I finally get mine, I can find a single shade of green in a rattle can, as ive read that some people mix their greens & airbrush it on, as I dont own an airbrush.

A brilliant result there with the green, nice one.

Wayne.

I have one of these in my stash. :D Looks like a very nice start with your greens and base color.

Thanks fellas....I appreciate the comments!

Wayne, per the OOB callouts I used Model Master Pale Green for the base color, and MM Zinc Chromate Green for the feathers, all I did was lighten both colors with MM flat white for a broader range. And these were all airbrushed on (after hours of taping and masking....uuuggh). I'm sure it can be done with a rattle can with awesome results. In all honesty, the feathers and other details could probably be hand painted. As long as your paint is thin enough you shouldn't get any streaks.

Last note....just a friendly bit of advice: Always check the lid on your jars of paint before shaking vigorously! I was hoping to have another update to post this morning, however yesterday I decided to paint while I was binge watching Game of Thrones and as I was shaking my jar of (dark gray) paint, eyes glued to the tv and NOT what I was doing, I started to smell enamel. I looked down and I had spatters of grey paint all over my work station, computer, walls, myself and unfortunately my Bird of Prey. SO.....I spent the remaining afternoon re-painting everything. Hope to have another update in the next few days!

;D Dude .

Heh heh -- as soon as I read " .. always check the lids ... . " I knew where it was going

Sux .

Well , you probably won't do that again for a few months at least ;)

urumomo, I can assure you it wont happen again for quite a while. By the way, total kick-*** job on the jagdturret in Armor! I'm actually an armor guy (I'll post some soon). A couple of years back I got into a weird sci-fi state of mind and bought every star trek and star wars kit I could find, now I have more than I'll ever build in my lifetime. I just finished up a build on the Takom KRAZ and just decided to do something a little different.

;D Thanks , jellis -- do I include the " 11 " ?

Really cool job on this one ---

Definitely get your azz to Armor ! ;D lonely over there ;)

.. doing any Ma.K ?

Cheers !
Mo

Looking really good.

I've done that with my MM paint pots... you think the lid is on but no.

Ozzman, Then you gotta take the damn things off with channel locks! I love the new stuff from AMMO of MIG....like Vallejo, but better!

Urumomo, "Jeff" will work. No, never tried any Ma.K, seen some real cool work done. Just never got around to it.
I'll get in armor real soon....I got a MK.1 I'm itchin to get started.

So, here is my latest update....I got most of the small details painted up top, airbrushed the bottom, picked out a bunch of small details there as well set the decals ( ???) and got the engine and photon torpedo launcher (?) painted.

Still a little ways to go.....touch up between the feathers and other differently colored areas on the bottom half, finish up detailing the guns, dry brushing the entire ship, gloss coat and washes, dull coat and whatever else I might have forgotten to do.

As always, your comments and any necessary constructive criticism (LOL) are most welcome.

Thanks for looking!

By the way, is it just me, or is photobucket a big ugly P.O.S these days?
IMG_1252_zpsiikzsxdi.jpg
IMG_1254_zpsqdmwzlp5.jpg
IMG_1255_zpszqlxeleb.jpg
IMG_1257_zpsfbqhpoa2.jpg
IMG_1259_zpswkldvlk5.jpg
IMG_1261_zpsbxwudlhv.jpg
IMG_1253_zpsqp7j7pmz.jpg

Very nice .
It doesn't come with a whale ? :D

.... . and YES . Photobucket is a mess .

Looking very nice. That detailing on the bottom really catches my eye.

At this scale aluminum could be so thin as to very well be transparent. ;D ...then you could see the whale.

Thank you Hagoth. I think after a couple of washes and a little dirtying up it should bring all the colors together and not look so much like a "paint by the numbers" subject.

I'm calling this one done....not 100% pleased, but time to move on to other things.....thanks for looking and please feel free to fire away with any comments or suggestions!
IMG_1277_zpsd5wpj3ul.jpg
IMG_1276_zps3nit0yr5.jpg
IMG_1279_zpsdqdojdb7.jpg
IMG_1278_zpsvnoyslh7.jpg
IMG_1280_zpsqmdlefbj.jpg
IMG_1288_zpsdqhn2fzc.jpg
IMG_1281_zpsvfqdpeeg.jpg
IMG_1284_zps32petbab.jpg
IMG_1283_zpsolbpnxxe.jpg
IMG_1287_zpscaimat9g.jpg
IMG_1286_zpslscixfgu.jpg
IMG_1289_zpsmpzd2yk1.jpg