1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

Thanks Scott...so photoetched props it will be. And thats great news that you are still planning on coming to the show. Bring your golf clubs, make a weekend of it!

So..anyway, a small update, I put the Zero's on the deck to have a look:
IMG_3831_zps0bjpknwm.jpg
IMG_3817_zpsyzyxgwln.jpg
IMG_3825_zpsmp61dzjd.jpg
IMG_3820_zps7cr9ouu0.jpg
IMG_3835_zpsk2qkzsrb.jpg
IMG_3815_zpsmvghgvp6.jpg
IMG_3827_zpsckwjautz.jpg
IMG_3828_zpsbvqcau3w.jpg

I'm not sure the planes will be in this layout on the deck when done, but its good enough for a couple pics :)
Thanks for checking in! Cheers, Tim

Looking REALLY good here, Tim
Can almost hear the engines starting on these little birds

Starting on the side mounted antennas...these are the easiest of the lot that I still have to do, so a good place to start, right? :)

IMG_3995_zpsssu60sag.jpg

Now, onto the large side-folding antennas...which should be a treat. Been dreading them the whole build, but we'll see how they turn out...so come back soon and see! Cheers, Tim

Thanks again Quaralane!

Starting on the folding side antennnas:

IMG_4002_zpsd6cpvlxg.jpg
IMG_4026_zpsedc0lp8m.jpg

Installed:
IMG_4057_zpsvwgyfrai.jpg
IMG_4069_zps9fh5fdhg.jpg
IMG_4047_zpsv7wfhmal.jpg

These things were a pain but we got through it eventually. :) Cheers, Tim

Both port and starboard side folding antennas installed now:

IMG_4086_zpsvump65go.jpg
IMG_4088_zpsil2ryzvd.jpg

The airplanes are not permantently installed yet, so thats coming up next. Cheers and thx for viewing! -Tim

Thanks guys...yes those big stern arials were a bit of trick to get installed and alligned. But no worries ;)

Added 2 more cables to the island-mounted side antenna for a total of 4 now...its difficult to get the camera to focus on these, sorry for fuzziness:
IMG_4108_zpsskhl4etd.jpg

And starting the waterline-to-deck ladder accesses for attaching to the outside main hull:
IMG_4127_zpszus2devx.jpg
IMG_4132_zpsm5bp87zy.jpg

Thats it for now but thanks for viewing! -Tim

Thanks guys! Appreciate your comments!

I have been working on some of the smaller details (gluing the planes in place, adding some bomb carts, adding a couple of access ladders, etc) which makes for not such great new pics, but anyway:
IMG_4178_zpsoeapmetm.jpg
IMG_4160_zpsuzord2pn.jpg
IMG_4143_zpsa8r3xuqt.jpg
IMG_4185_zpsfptjrjcu.jpg
IMG_4181_zps4niw58nh.jpg
IMG_4169_zpsiixapfjv.jpg

I am starting on Akagi's mounting board, is almost time to put this baby on one! Comments and suggestions most welcome on this thread. Cheers, Tim

I think you're being too hard on yourself. These pics look pretty darn good from where I'm sitting.

I've always liked that access ladder to the 40'(?) cruiser under the tramway
Wtv
Love how this is coming together !
Cheers

Hi guys and thanks for the nice words!!

My health hasn't been quite up to snuff lately, but I did manage to get a couple more small things done. Its funny isn't it... its the small things that take the time. Anyway:

Started a couple utility boats for adding to the bottom of the accommodation ladders, note the pe cabin next to the kit cabin in the middle of the pic, but I only had one of the photoetch cabins avail:
IMG_4197_zpswhczgcpg.jpg

Mounted at bottom of accommodation ladder:
IMG_4206_zpshailol1c.jpg

Couple of details added on the bow:
IMG_4198_zpshmlvacng.jpg

And another shot of the finished and attached utility boat: (oops...I see a ladder on the left there that must have gotten bumped and needs to be put vertical again..but no worries ;) )
IMG_4208_zpsrlafcy11.jpg

The show I am entering this in, CAMS (hopefully anyway...depending on my health) is in 2 weeks, so its time to test the LED lighting and get this thing mounted on a nice board! Look for a final update on Akagi soon! Thanks for viewing and your comments and suggestions are, as always, most appreciated. Cheers and good health to all -Tim

Did you ever consider adding something along these lines?:
http://northstarmodels.com/product-category/figures/1-350/

Latest posts

Back