1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

Just awesome. If this is at CAMS and I can make it down I'll get some video for sure. This really makes me want to build a 1/350 ship again...love this build.

Thanks very much guys!
Chris: the deck supports, trams and columns are in a secondary package avail from Hasegawa called "Akagi Detail-up Parts Super". Its kind of pricy on the face of it ($90 - $110) but it adds much.
Scott: Hope you can make it to CAMS!, we always have a good time... great models and great folks! My goal is to have it finished for the show so would love to see you, and I know the Elm City Hobby Scott probably wouldn't mind seeing you as well.

Only a small update this morning....still adding some detail to the deck and elsewhere:

First windscreen up:
IMG_3445_zps00uuundp.jpg
IMG_3448_zpsrejekvyc.jpg

Searchlight on rear deck
IMG_3476_zpsyqjtmzag.jpg

Added a crane hoist (left), small platform (lower right), and a stairway (upper right), and still have the railings to install:
IMG_3459_zpszm0on6w8.jpg

Deck shot (2nd windscreen shown but not installed yet)
IMG_3457_zpssfrfd8uc.jpg

Thats it for now, but more to come soon. Thx for viewing!

..and some more:

IMG_3494_zpsjtak2xwg.jpg

if you closely, you can see the wood flight deck JUST showing though the rear windscreen from this angle. Using well thinned paint kept the tiny holes from clogging:
IMG_3491_zps2fzak6cy.jpg

remember our lonely stern deck searchlight? ...added hatch covers
IMG_3483_zpshyze9m6h.jpg

IMG_3503_zps9i7pntzb.jpg
IMG_3497_zpsmkckal3u.jpg
IMG_3487_zps6bgqmts5.jpg

Cheers, Tim

Thanks guys...appreciate you taking the time to look and comment!

...here's another small update:

Cutting flight deck resistors from .010 music wire:
IMG_3511_zpsnoy5apxf.jpg

two installed:
IMG_3548_zps9q176azg.jpg
IMG_3547_zpsxuraxbii.jpg
IMG_3521_zpsfsn2zyt2.jpg

3 dozen ammo boxes/lockers for deck side pods:
IMG_3509_zpsdolbu7v1.jpg

Stern railings installed:
IMG_3527_zpsugx2om9m.jpg

IMG_3520_zpsdz1fnanz.jpg

Comments and suggestions most welcome in this thread! -Tim

Just discovering this build thread....I'm so in awe.

A project like this takes not just the obvious time and money, but moreover a dedication and passion for the subject matter. I envy you that. I hope someday to do a grand opus of this caliber.

sunsanvil said:
Just discovering this build thread....I'm so in awe.

A project like this takes not just the obvious time and money, but moreover a dedication and passion for the subject matter. I envy you that. I hope someday to do a grand opus of this caliber.

I know someone with a 1/35 Dora! Just sayin'

hehe..don't worry about it Quaralane, you're continued interest and encourgement means alot
sunsanvil: thanks you very much, really nice comment

I have been working on the island...my progress so far:

some of the bits and pieces (there are more):
IMG_3560_zpsv7nt3sie.jpg

some of the parts installed:
IMG_3599_zpsrbyhbsmx.jpg
IMG_3593_zpspur0qn87.jpg
IMG_3577_zpsv87jbqwn.jpg

As you can see, there are many parts still to be installed...all the ladders, aerials, etc. so be sure to come back for that update! Cheers, Tim

Thanks very much gentlemen!

Some of the splinter guards installed. Still have to add the restaining ropes and they still need a couple of adjustments, but you get the idea :)

IMG_3630_zpsiet54kzx.jpg
IMG_3617_zps1rds7scp.jpg

Thanks for viewing! -Tim

Latest posts

Back