1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

Thanks guys!

hehe...gotta love this...even the support columns have support columns!

Forgot about these until the end, which was a mistake as they were difficult to install after the bigger columns were installed. But here they are:

unpainted:
IMG_3264_zps1afleyxr.jpg

painted:
IMG_3266_zpswgvymag8.jpg

extreme closeup, installed:
IMG_3268_zpsxvopllpy.jpg
IMG_3270_zpsezft85a1.jpg

You SURE you're not just colorizing old photos of the real ship under construction here?
Looks like somebody's just using a shrink ray

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your comments!

And Quaralane...shhhh! Don't tell anyone my secret ;) cheers bud

Got alot done this weekend, the weather is terrible, blizzard...but as long as the power doesn't go off, thats fine with me.

hehe ... guess I left these parts sitting around too long...a spider decided to inspect my work close up. ;)
IMG_3280_zpspddh6h2f.jpg

Bow deck photoetch installed:
IMG_3282_zpszutfcoij.jpg
IMG_3284_zps2ui6qpij.jpg
IMG_3283_zpsj1wfrosj.jpg

Just have to add 4 pillars into this part, and then ready (I think) to install the 3 deck pieces onto the hull.
IMG_3285_zpseycd4zzd.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome! -Tim

Posts added to the bow deck, just about ready to install the decks on the hull. I have some work within the hull to complete first (mounting nuts to be attached) and I wanted to test the LED lighting as well. The spars extending to posts have not been glued in place yet as I wanted to leave a little wiggle room for the time when the bottom of the posts are attached to the hull.. and they may be moved slightly. Once the posts are in, both top and bottom ends, then I'll glue those spar extentions in place.
IMG_3291_zpscaruflaj.jpg
IMG_3297_zpsdqchdmdr.jpg

I just wouldn't have the patience to do this. Your extremely talented with PE dude ;)

Thx John!

for a small update...I have the middle deck (first pic) permanently installed now(2nd pic):
IMG_3225_zpsfp9miyfh.jpg
IMG_3337_zps1us3ryzl.jpg

Misc pic of the superstructure:
IMG_3328_zps3reim5zx.jpg

Props, shafts and rudders installed also:
IMG_3334_zpswr3v9rtz.jpg

I will have better pics tomorrow from a lower angle so you can see the photoetch as installed.
Also up next is the bow deck, so be sure to check back! thx-Tim

Here' some shots of the decks that are permantently installed now. The pics look a little strange because I placed the model upside down on its deck, took the pics, and turned the pics 180 degrees. But I will have more pics tomorrow in a regular orientation.

IMG_3363_zpsrb5ec4qo.jpg
IMG_3361_zpsnjwgzdy0.jpg
IMG_3350_zpsqfnxfnur.jpg

Thats it for now...but be sure to check back! Thx for viewing, Tim

Absolutely jaw dropping man...wow. WOW.

All that detail makes it look so huge. I literally get a feeling of standing under all that steel just by looking at this - seriously.

Bravo.

Thanks Scott! Well, this build is over a year and a half now...and I didn't have an entry for the last CAMS Show because of it, which was a bummer because I enjoy participating in that. I went to the show of course, and enjoyed myself, talked to some great guys and saw some wonderful work...but its more fun when you have a model entered of course.

I will have one this time I think! There's still quite a bit to do, but the show isn't until the end of May so chances are good I will be participating again. That show deadline is a motivating factor sometimes!

Bonus pics :) I wasn't going to post these two, but I like to add a pic with every reply:
IMG_3351_zpsgr03aheb.jpg
IMG_3402_zpspc0nrbmc.jpg

Cheers, Tim

Thanks Quaralane! Your continued support is appreciated buddy!

Anyway...got the deck elevators and their covers done and installed. I had to shim one of the elevators to bring it up so the level of the elevator cover and the level of the deck would be identical:
IMG_3423_zpsfwr2t3sp.jpg

And a couple of overview shots showing the elevator covers installed: (the forward elevator will be in the lowered position, with a plane with wings folded, in it)
IMG_3430_zpsvaeiwd0x.jpg
IMG_3429_zpscztfqhue.jpg

I will be adding some more pe to the flight deck and I will be also be starting the island right after that. SO be sure to come back and check them out! Thanks for viewing... and any comments or suggestions are most welcome. -Tim

Latest posts

Back