1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

An astounding build, and your detailing is amazing!

I like to see that Hasegawa took a cue from Trumpeter and molded the aircraft in clear plastic. I think that's the single-best innovation in ship models in the past 50 years, even better than PE.

Thanks for your comments guys, they are appreciated!

So... the dry transfers are done:
IMG_3132_zpsjk2ahhc9.jpg

A couple of light-weight clamps to ensure a good tight fit on the leading edge of the now varnished deck. I used one coat of satin, then 2 light coats of dead flat varnish for the seal. The leading edge of the flight deck takes a very small curl downwards right at the end, and I wanted to make sure the wood deck stayed down there:
IMG_3136_zpsakavv1m0.jpg

Side tubs added, they are of the light grey parts you see down the side of the black deck parts:
IMG_3140_zpssdgfkai6.jpg

Here's 3 pics of the photoetch support beam structure (that will soon be 80% unviewable as the small plastic deck part that you see sitting in the background will cover quite a bit of it, but the leading edges and the sides will be in full view). Last look at this part in its entirety before adding the other deck part on top:
IMG_3143_zps4dvpxykv.jpg
IMG_3147_zpshw6dufay.jpg
IMG_3146_zps5bmzwd6o.jpg

Added the deck part, clamped fairly well so I could avoid using any glue near the edges or on the pe itself:
IMG_3154_zpshgfbfrw9.jpg
IMG_3152_zpsjn6zlemm.jpg

Thats it for now, but progress should go more quickly in the coming week. Thx for viewing..and, as always, comments are most welcome! Cheers, Tim

I removed the clamps this evening (from the post above), and was quite pleased with how the support grid set up...perfect fit. This pe set is really well engineered. Here's a couple pics after the clamps removed:

IMG_3163_zpsorxvsuq7.jpg
IMG_3172_zpscgchbbi0.jpg
IMG_3158_zpsl4qd7dbf.jpg

I think you guys will like what you see next...so be sure to check back! Cheers, Tim

Despite what the instructions said, I painted my underdecks black instead of grey, to increase the contrast between the pe and the deck, so the photoetch grids could be seen more clearly. And for the same reason, I painted the grids themselves Vallejo Aluminum instead of the called-for flat grey.

Speaking of which:
IMG_3177_zpsils5hbsf.jpg

Thats the second layer of the photoetch parts for the stern deck of course, and if you look closely, you can see that the second layer beams at the rear are in decent alignment (depending on the camera angle) with the first layer beams below it.
IMG_3176_zpsciq9schc.jpg
IMG_3178_zpsz7quvh5s.jpg

And although you cannot see it in these particular pics (more to follow later), the side beams of the second layer line up really well with the side beams of the lower part.

Thanks again everybody for your time and attention, and thanks especially to those who have commented! Cheers to all -Tim

Hey Tim
I am in awe ...
I have just started working with P/E (albeit on a MUCH larger scale), this work of yours. It is just beyond me, how fine, and delicate it is. What type of glue are you using? And is it as fragile as it looks?
Wonderful work on this!
Cheers

Thanks Scott! Your support is appreciated!

Hi Beluga...and no, they are not fragile at all. I pick them up with my fingers and tweasers all the time. Each joint in the grid is glued with ZAP Thin CA. Makes for a rather strong structure actually :) I just have to be careful not to bend the ends when I'm handling them.

Anyway... last night I added the next peice:
IMG_3182_zpsxosx43fa.jpg
IMG_3184_zpsxfrrltra.jpg
IMG_3187_zpsy0dep5zs.jpg

On the right hand side of the pic, you can see that lower part side beams line up (fairly) well with the upper ones.
IMG_3192_zps7ved3aen.jpg

The 6 tabs you see in the middle of the grid and the two towards the back, are locators for the tramways that will be added next. I almost sanded these off by mistake when putting the part together! ;)
IMG_3193_zpsnfeqqsjg.jpg
IMG_3194_zpsqnwfkyxq.jpg
IMG_3199_zpsjii7b031.jpg
IMG_3188_zps15ebkg8k.jpg

Too many pics of the same thing? Anyway... thanks for your time and comments are most welcome! Cheers, Tim

Thanks very much Scott, Adam, Mike AND John!

This evenings small update....

The 8 towers for the stern deck piece (the one with the trams) are now painted:
IMG_3230_zps4wqnqfxk.jpg

And I also got the middle deck frameworks installed:
IMG_3227_zpsx3rchanq.jpg
IMG_3222_zpsj0km90ty.jpg

Next to be done will be the bow deck, and I'll be adding the columns to rear deck part also, so please check back! Cheers, Tim

Latest posts

Back