1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

So here's a couple new pics with the splinter guards installed with their restraining ropes, added the ladders and attennas also.

IMG_3631_zpse2iqodfr.jpg
IMG_3635_zpsshr72jri.jpg
IMG_3649_zpsifn27ws5.jpg
IMG_3633_zpsohkpvtl6.jpg
IMG_3631_zpse2iqodfr.jpg

Thanks Quaralane!

Small update: installed the island and the flagstaff on the ship:

IMG_3668_zpsulzgg08w.jpg
IMG_3685_zpsyedkmqsy.jpg
IMG_3683_zpszxges77c.jpg

Still have to fold the flags a bit more, but getting there. Thanks for viewing and as always, comments and suggestions are most welcome in this thread. Cheers, Tim

Thanks Quaralane, your comments are appreciated!

Added the bowsprit and the stern pole:
IMG_3719_zpsmmgjxq5y.jpg
IMG_3723_zpstwtmkq9d.jpg
IMG_3696_zpsj1hitqtl.jpg

Note 3 "spacers" added to project light bar away from the pole a little bit and outside the railing:
IMG_3687_zpssgrtbfvv.jpg

Added the LAST RAILING ON THE SHIP (yay!!!) ...its the outside one of the island, here you see only about 1/3 of it unfortunately:
IMG_3705_zps371x4mo2.jpg

And a couple of misc pics:
IMG_3721_zpswdqqf7wm.jpg
IMG_3694_zpszrwpwkag.jpg

INQUIRY: Does anyone know the correct light configeration for the stern light pole of Akagi at Pearl Harbor? As you can see, I have green, red and yellow "lights" on the pole, but I do not know if this is correct or if they are in the right order. I don't think it matters that much really, but as the "lights" can be easily changed, if someone knows, I'd certainly appreciate hearing.

As always, thanks for viewing and your comments and suggestions! Regards, Tim

Thanks guys, appreciate it! There is still quite a bit to do on this model...all the flight deck catch nets (there's quite a few), and I only have about half of the planes finished, and there are quite a few of those as well. In addition, the side folding antennas an all their rigging needs to be done. Be about a month I'd say.

A good friend was kind enough to send me this in regards to the navigation light bars that were on Japanese WWII ships...apparently all ships used the same configuration. I include it for future reference for anyone doing a Japanese ship with these installed.
Maneuvering%20lights_zpsxq9wbgbc.jpg

So here's my corrected nav light bar:
IMG_3735_zps27ccujze.jpg

And I have started on the catch nets that surround the flight deck...here's three installed:
IMG_3738_zpsua8lmmtm.jpg
Thanks again for all of your kind comments gentlemen!! Cheers, TJ

Thanks Scott! Have you decided about coming to Freddy Beach for the big show?

Have been somewhat busy with spring clean-up around the yard and house...its that time of year around here when our golden retriever's 5 months of accumulated dog poop piles in the backyard are starting to show through the snow melting. Anyway...onto to less objectionable things:

Starting back onto the airplanes...here you see a couple dozen torpedo bombers and a dozen or so Zero's (still have another 12 Vals to make). These all need their canopies and props installed, you can see the pe canopies and props on the left of the pic:
IMG_3741_zpsxlsy85dg.jpg

Applying decals to the underneath of the Zero's and getting ready to add their landing gear and wash:
IMG_3759_zps90kf18nt.jpg

Here's my first torpedo bomber done, still have some touch ups to do like apply some black wash on the canopies, but anyway:
IMG_3743_zpspzwwfpl1.jpg

The first 15 torpedo bombers done, another 6 to go...here they are resting on the flight deck while I work on the others:
IMG_3746_zpspgyyznrt.jpg

I'm doing a few folded wings ones too, two for the deck and one for going in the forward elevator:
IMG_3755_zpsnlhpzi8t.jpg
IMG_3757_zpsuxqav9xi.jpg

Comments and suggestions, as always, are welcome in this thread. Cheers to all and thanks for looking! -Tim

Awestruck by the look of these tiny planes.
Me, I'm lucky if I can get the cnopies to look even close when they get this small

Thanks Quaralane! Yes, these planes can be problematic at this scale..doing photoetch landing gear for them is an example...tiny, but what is worse, VERY fragile landing gear parts:

Only a small update today as the Zero's pe landing gear was more trouble than anticipated, but we got through it ok finally.

The Zero's landing pe landing gear and canopies:
IMG_3780_zpsbsgnn77r.jpg

Landing gears attached and getting ready to roll the canopies:
IMG_3795_zpsghvpiwgc.jpg

Comments and suggestions, as always, are welcome in this thread. Cheers to all and thanks for looking! -Tim

How I made my landing gear wheel hubs:
(I always make extra because not all turn out)
IMG_3772_zpsndzirncx.jpg

Photoetch landing gear..its beautiful, too bad at this scale its hard to notice on the finished plane, but anyway...on the left is the kit part, one the right the etch, and after a double fold, the finished landing gear. I hand painted the wheels black and then the next day painted the outside stuts the fuselage color, then the day after that, I folded them, Most of the paint stayed on, I was quite happy about that :) (oh ...and those tabs on the bottom of the wheels are supposed to be there :) they are locators for the the wheel when folded onto the strut)
IMG_3762_zpsosjupvr1.jpg

More to do!
IMG_3771_zpsdpuszoer.jpg

Pic of folded and painted landing gear:
IMG_3778_zpsykgko4y5.jpg

IMG_3784_zpsdeorvwot.jpg

Hi everybody...I have the canopies for the Zero's installed, but I have a question; in the 2nd pic below there are two versions of the props...the kit part with the decals and the pe part without. I could not get the decals to apply/stick to the pe ones, but they did nicely to the plastic ones. The pe ones are thinner by quite a bit, but they lack the decals. If it was your model, which ones woudl you use? As you can see, I haven't installed the props yet except for these two...awaiting what the majority of you think before I do the rest.

IMG_3808_zpse3gy8dsg.jpg
IMG_3804_zpsttfhifu4.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics but these things are less than 1 inch long. Let me know which way you would go. Thx! -Tim

I'm tempted to say use the photo etch, it looks more to scale in my opinion.

Absolutely brilliant work here. Yes, so far the plan is attend CAMS - I'll have a table; selling some stash stuffings.

Latest posts

Back